It’s the third week of the new year, and that means those 2012 resolutions are probably starting to fly out the window — that is, if they haven’t been abandoned completely. Luckily, our friends at Benefit Cosmetics offered to assist us with our ‘New Trends for the New Year’ promise by providing Blog Editor, Jenn, with a fresh-faced look that’s perfect for starting every day off with the most fashionable foot forward!
Looking for a chic but subtle accompaniment to her cozy and casual ensemble of the Come Say Yellow Top, Field Study Shorts, Ripple Effects Scarf in Midnight, Knee-d to Know Tights, and Come On, Brogue, Jenn traded in her signature cat eye for an ultra feminine look we can’t get enough of!
Wanting to reinvigorate your style? Learn how to get the look.
1. Let’s get our canvas ready! Using a foundation brush, apply a primer to help minimize the appearance of pores — we used Benefit’s POREfessional.
2. Need a little extra coverage? Take your foundation brush to Benefit’s concealer, Boi-ing, and blend under the eyes and around any other areas that might need a little extra touching up. Tip: Your finger can be a great application tool as it warms up the concealer and contributes to easy blending. After a dusting of Hello, Flawless, you’re ready for some colorful touches!
3. To achieve Jenn’s go-with-anything look, we used the versatile palette provided in the eyeshadow kit, Big, Beautiful Eyes, which boasts a petal pink base, medium cocoa color, and deep chocolate hue. First, dust the light shimmer shade over the entire eyelid. Next, starting from the outer corner and moving inward, blend the medium brown shade from the outer corner of the lid to the crease. Stop about three-quarters of the way in, then use your brush to blend the medium brown hue into the pink shade. This will avoid a harsh separation between the colors.
4. Using an angled brush, wiggle the deep chocolate pigment into your top lashes, as close as you can possibly get to the lashline. Tip: Instead of sweeping your brush along the lashline, tap it along — this will give you more control. Repeat on the lower lid, from the outer corner in, but stop halfway to avoid a dramatic look that could be too much for the daytime.
5. Apply a coat of They’re Real mascara. When applying mascara, think about how much drama you want to convey. For a day look, you can apply just a single coat, but for more drama, apply a coat under your lashes, one on top of the lashes, and finally, with the wand placed vertically, get in between the lashes by brushing upwards.
6. To give an added touch of polish to the look, we used Brow Zings to lightly fill in Jenn’s brows. Its wax helps keep stray hairs in place, while the pigment defines for a perfect arch.
7. Smile — you’re almost there! Swirl a rosy hue like Hervana onto the apples of your cheeks.
8. A precious pink gloss with a gorgeous shine, Foxy Lady is the perfect conclusion to this makeup routine — guaranteeing that you keep that smile on your face throughout the day!
We’re smitten with this fresh feminine look! What makeup tricks are you trying out this winter?