Breaking beauty boundaries is another fun way to woo oneself into the new year. So, our blog team popped by Benefit Cosmetics’ pink-polished headquarters in downtown San Francisco for a little consultation with their lovely makeup mavens. Here, blog writer Laura says adios to the grey and black staples she usually grabs for, opting instead for super fem’ hues, a couple glam accessories, and a fresh outlook on the year to come!
Laura arrived on set in the Dinner Belle Dress in the Wild, Tropical Conversation Necklace, Cocktail Reception Headband, Tights for Every Occasion in Grape, and To Grandmother’s House We Toe Heel in Grey, and asked Benefit for a look that was glamorous but natural to match her romantic ensemble.
Love her look? Here’s how to get it.
1. It’s prime time! Brush a lightweight pore primer all over your face to hide the appearance of pores. We used Benefit’s silky and translucent POREfessional. Use your finger for more pronounced areas such as the nose bridge.
2. Dab the Boi-ing concealer underneath your eyes to camouflage dark circles and brighten up your eye area. Make sure to pat the concealer on, and not swipe; the skin around your eyes is delicate. Then, grab a powder cover-up such as the Hello Flawless in Petal, and lightly dust it over the concealer to help it set.
3. Grab the Smokin’ Eyes brow and eye kit, and acquaint yourself with the contents. You should have a shell pink highlighting eyeshadow, pewter base shadow, deep charcoal shadow, and eyeliner. First, brush the pink shadow across your lids and up to the brow. Then, starting at the lash line, diffuse color slightly above the crease with the pewter shadow, about 3/4 of the way across the lid and into the crease. Finally, starting at the outer corner of your lid, blend the deep charcoal shadow about 1/4 of the way in.
4. Blend the outer corners so there isn’t as much contrast between the light and darker shadows.
5. Using the eyeliner included in the kit, start lining across your lash line, from the inner corner outwards. In to out, and then out to in. For added effect, go a little past the outer corner of the eye. Blend the liner with a sponge. Then, using a pencil, pencil between the lower lashes — only 1/2 of the way in on your lower lid — so that the lower rim connects to the upper corner of your eye.
6. Find Benefit’s They’re Real mascara, and apply four coats — one at the top of the lashes, bottom, side, and then finally the ends of your bottom lashes.
7. Pause and check out the difference between your two eyes! Dramatic, no?
8. Using the brow shaping tools included in the Smokin’ Eye kit, dip the hard angle brush into the pigmented wax. Shape and define the brows with smooth, angled strokes.
9. Brush the heavenly orchid-blossom Hervana blush in swirling ‘C’ patterns onto the apples of your cheeks.
10. Apply Benefit’s Watt’s Up highlighter to the checkbones, brow bone, and nose bridge to add definition and soft focus. Blend.
12. Check yourself out, and go out and wow ’em!
Overall, the look is “drama, but not ‘whoa,'” said our makeup artist that day, Ally. And, if you’re running short on time, Ally advises sticking to the must-haves of concealer, brow pencil, mascara, and lip gloss. “These are the few products that will make the biggest impact!”