(Image above: Molasses Cookies from Southern Grace Gourmet)
We are so excited for the first day of our Fall Flavors, Fall Fashions Perfect Pairings Contest! Our ingredient for today is MOLASSES. Find your favorite molasses recipe, and pair it to an adorable ModCloth outfit that matches your dish! Submit your molasses recipe and matching outfit as a comment at the bottom of this post. You have until this Sunday at 12:00 a.m. E.S.T. Read complete contest guidelines here.
To help us kick off this contest and get the molasses recipes flowing, Angela from Southern Grace Gourmet has a yummy molasses dish and an adorable outfit to share with us! Thanks, Angela!
- The Soda Fountain Dress in Ginger
- Coca Beach Wedges
- Out of Africa Bag
- Birds of Paradise Earrings
- Hibiscus Bangle
- The Raphael Necklace
Keep reading to see Angela’s yummy recipe! There is nothing more delicious than a warm, chewy molasses cookie. This cookie will give you a warm snuggly feeling. The molasses paired with the spices is perfect for the fall season. The chewiness of the cookie will allow you to savor every bite of this delectable treat. I have tried several recipes, before perfecting this one. These cookies have cinnamon, ginger, allspice, and cloves. Molasses balances out the spices in the cookie and adds a perfect backdrop for the spices. The best part of these cookies though, is the beautiful aroma that will fill your home as they bake.
- 2 1/4 cups flour
- 2 oz, or 1/4 cup butter at room temperature
- 4 oz, or 1/2 cup shortening at room temperature
- 1/3 cup molasses
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 egg
- 1 cup brown sugar, packed
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 cup white sugar for rolling cookie dough in
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Cream butter, shortening, and sugar. Sift together flour, salt, baking soda, and spices. Add molasses and egg to creamed butter and sugar. Mix until light and fluffy.
- Add dry ingredients and mix until just combined.
- Then take teaspoons of dough and roll in sugar and in the palm of your hand to make little balls. Place on un-greased cookie sheet. Bake at 375 degrees until just firm. Do not over-bake. They should be browned, but look underdone when removed from oven. They will firm up when cooled. For a crisp cookie, cook longer.
Leave your outfit ideas and matching recipes as a comment below, and good luck! Be sure to check back tomorrow at 1.00pm for the next ingredient’s recipe – Apples!