(Image above: Stuffed Acorn Squash from Post Punk Kitchen)
For the last day of our Fall Flavors, Fall Fashions Perfect Pairings Contest, our ingredient is SQUASH! Any kind of squash will do, as long as you pair it with an adorable ModCloth outfit that matches your recipe! Submit your squash recipe and matching outfit as a comment at the bottom of this post. Read complete contest guidelines here.
As our surprise guest blogger, Isa Chandra Moskowitz (co- founder of the vegan food blog Post Punk Kitchen, and author of such vegan cooking tomes as Vegan Cupcakes Take Over the World and Veganomicon) is sharing an amazing squash dish with us, and an adorable ModCloth dress to match! Thanks, Isa!
Keep reading for Isa’s vegan cornbread stuffing and roasted squash recipe! Ingredients:
- 4 acorn squash, cut in half lengthwise, seeds removed
- 1 recipe PPK Cornbread or Veganomicon cornbread, or your favorite recipe from a 9Ã—13 pan
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 Cippolini onions, diced medium (use whatever onion you like – about 2 cups once chopped)
- 1 cup pecans
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh thyme (keep the soft stems on, just ditch the woody ones)
- 1/2 teaspoon celery seed
- 2 teaspoons dried sage
- 1 teaspoon salt
- fresh black pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 2 red Bartlett pears, sliced in 1/4 inch slices (use whatever pear you’ve got)
- Preheat oven to 375 F. Place the squash face down on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Bake for about 45 minutes or until easily pierced with a fork. You can proceed with the rest of the recipe in the meantime.
- Cut cornbread into roughly 3/4 inch pieces. Place on a baking sheet and toast for about 15 minutes, flipping about halfway through. Remove from oven.
- In the meantime, toast the pecans. Preheat a large heavy bottomed pan over medium low heat. Add the pecans and toast for 3 to 5 minutes, stirring often, until they smell toasty and are a few shades darker. Transfer to a bowl and roughly chop once cooled – I like to keep the pieces relatively large.
- In the same pan over medium heat, saute onion in olive oil for about 10 minutes, until lightly browned.
- Preheat the oven to 375 F.
- Add the herbs to the pan and saute for about a minutes. Add the cornbread and sprinkle in salt and pepper. Mix with a spatula, it’s fine if you break the cornbread up with a spatula a bit. Drizzle in the oil and vegetable broth. If it seems too dry, add a little extra veggie broth.
- Fold in the apples and pecans. Transfer to a lightly greased 9Ã—13 pan and bake for about 45 minutes, until the top is lightly browned.
- Serves 8.
Leave your outfit ideas and matching squash recipes as a comment below, and good luck! The Fall Flavors, Fall Fashions Perfect Pairings Contest ends at midnight EST, Sunday, October 18th, so get your submissions in soon!