It’s time to get creative for another edition of our Make the Cut Contest! This time, we’re asking you to design a print for an item that lends itself to a stylish twist: the scarf! That’s right — this 100% viscose ModCloth original is ready for another fab look. So, use our scarf template to compose a new pattern for this popular piece.
We’ll accept your submissions until 11:59 p.m. PT on 6/1, and then our Buying Team will choose their top 10. You can vote for and comment on those designs from 10 a.m. PT on 6/9 to 11:59 p.m. PT on 6/13 via Be the Buyer, the official host for this Make the Cut winner selection. On 6/16, we’ll announce our pattern-savvy champ here on our blog!
What will the victor nab? First, their print design will be produced on a scarf — with the their name on the tag — and sold on ModCloth.com. Plus, we’ll send the winner this piece, along with $500!
Ready to dream up some scarf-perfect prints? Go on and sketch your heart out, but be sure you read the deets below to make certain your print designs are eligible…
- Fabric prints should be designed in our scarf template here. Please note that this template is simply a blank rectangle shape scaled down to accommodate scarf seam space (imagine an unfolded scarf laid on a flat surface). Fabric prints should be designed in our scarf template
- Each in-template design should include an additional close-up image of the print.
- All image submissions should be no larger than 5 MB, and image resolution should be 300 DPI.
- Acceptable formats are JPG and PNG. If you’re chosen as a finalist, we may request original files from you.
- Please submit design software files, scanned sketches, or high-quality, well-lit photos of your sketch (low-quality images may be declined).
- Print designs must be both unlicensed and undistributed at the time of submission.
- Prints should be designed for the provided scarf template. The actual scarf size will be 35” x 71”. Non-print embellishments, fringes, or decorations will not be accommodated.
- The winning fabric design will be screen-printed as a recurring pattern on 100% viscose material.
- Sketches do not need to be in color, but it is encouraged to best convey your vision. Please note that designs should be limited to 3 – 4 color hues or variations. For example, 3 variations of green would count as 3 of your 4 colors.
- If you don’t get a confirmation email after submitting, let us know at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Our Buying Team will choose 10 sketches based on judging criteria. We’ll post them on Be the Buyer for community voting from 10 a.m. PT on 6/9 to 11:59 p.m. PT on 6/13.
- Before announcing the winner, we’ll double-check that the Be the Buyer votes are legitimate.
And now, the rules:
- All entries must be submitted via Submittable.
- No email submissions will be accepted.
- You may enter via Submittable only once, but you may include sketches for up to 5 print designs. For each design, please remember to include both in-template sketches and close-up images of the print pattern.
- Entrants must include a brief description of the inspiration for each print design. Visual references may be included as well.
- With your submission(s), please include your first and last name as you’d like to see it appear for voting and on a clothing label. Feel free to tell us anything else about your sketches, including how you’d style the scarf if produced with your print design.
- Sketches and accompanying files may be submitted up until 11:59 p.m. PT on 6/1.
- Currently, this contest is only open to U.S. citizens and permanent legal residents.
- Print designs will be judged on marketability, produce-ability, pattern creativity, and how well they fit with the ModCloth aesthetic.
- The winner will be announced on 6/16 via the blog.
- One winning sketch will be chosen, and $500 will be awarded for it.
- Additional winners may be chosen at the discretion of ModCloth.
- The winning design will be produced and sold on ModCloth.com, and feature the print designer’s name on the tag.
- Contestants under 18 must have a parent or guardian write a letter of consent, and upload it as an attachment with your entry in Submittable (Example: If you upload 5 separate sketches and a document of your inspirations for them, then you would upload your scanned consent as file #7).
- All finalists will be required to sign a Copyright Assignment Agreement, but ModCloth will only retain the rights to the winning print design.
With the rules and guidelines on your radar, it’s time to design away! Is your print destined for a ModCloth scarf with a personalized tag? Is a $500 prize in your fashion future? Only one way to know — enter!
If you have any questions, check out our legal info, or email email@example.com.