Aspiring fashion designers, have we got a treat for you! Our Make the Cut Contest is making a triumphant return, and this time the finalists will be selected by a panel of very special judges — celebrity stylist Joseph Cassel and costume designer Salvador Perez. Your job is to sketch the coolest article of clothing you can based on the rainbow-striped swatch of fabric provided, and our stylists-to-the-stars guests will select twenty designs to be put up for public voting.
In case this is your first time participating, here’s how the whole thing works: We’ll accept submissions until 9:01 a.m. PT on 2/25. After that, our special guest judges will narrow it down to their top twenty picks, which will then be posted for voting on our Facebook fanpage from 12 p.m. PT, 3/15 to 12:00 p.m. PT, 3/22. We’ll announce our champion via a blog post shortly after!
And what will that one talented contestant win? For starters, $500! Then, their inspired item will be produced – with their name on the tag – and sold on ModCloth.com.
But before you sharpen your pencils, please make sure you know all the following fine details…
Guidelines for the contest:
- Images should be no larger than 5MB.
- Accepted file formats are PDF, JPG, PNG, TIFF, or GIF.
- Please submit scanned sketches, or high-quality, well-lit photos of your sketch on a white/light grey background (low-quality images may be declined).
- The ideal format is vertical with a 3Ã—5 dimension ratio.
- Sketches should clearly highlight only one piece of clothing.
- Submissions may include other items, but please indicate the piece being entered in the contest.
- Entries should be based on the provided swatch, which is composed of polyester. The winning piece will be available this summer, so your designs should be seasonally appropriate.
- You may indicate which fabric weight you’d create your piece with by writing it on your design file, but keep in mind our production team has final recommendation.
- Keep in mind that you’re designing for the ModCloth customer, and we’re unlikely to produce couture details or luxury materials.
- Our special guests will choose 20 pieces based on judging criteria, then we’ll post those on Facebook for community voting.
- Before announcing the winner, we’ll double-check that the Facebook votes are legitimate.
- Use of a template is not required, but you may download one of these free online versions here, here, or here.
- If you don’t get a confirmation email after submitting, let us know at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Sketches do not need to be in color, but it is encouraged to best convey your vision.
And now, the rules:
- All entries must be submitted via Submittable.
- No email submissions will be accepted.
- You may enter via Submittable only once, but you may include sketches for up to 5 garments.
- Sketches may be submitted up until 9:01 a.m. PT on 2/25.
- Entries will be judged on wearability, marketability, produce-ability, creativity, and how well they fit the ModCloth aesthetic.
- With your submission(s), please include your first & last name as you’d like to see it appear on Facebook for voting and the clothing label, a brief description of your design, and a little about what inspired it or how you’d style it.
- The winner will be announced on 3/29 here on the blog.
- One winning sketch will be chosen, and $500 will be awarded.
- Additional winners may be chosen at the discretion of ModCloth.
- Winning design will be produced and sold on ModCloth.com, and feature the designer’s name on the tag.
- Contestants under 18 must have a parent or guardian write a letter of consent, and upload it as an attachment with your entry on Submittable (Example: If you upload five separate sketches, you would then upload your scanned consent as a sixth file).
- Currently, this contest is only open to U.S. citizens and permanent legal residents.
Phew! That’s quite a list of guidelines and rules, so let’s recap the highly coveted prize: One fan-selected sketch will be produced, with the designer’s name on the tag, and sold on ModCloth. The winning designer will also receive $500, and one of their produced garments! So, check out the swatch above and get started.