A few weeks ago, a very bittersweet event happened here at ModCloth. Our warehouse, which we were so used to being just a few steps away, moved sixteen miles northwest of Pittsburgh to Ambridge, Pennsylvania. Everyone chipped in to help spruce up the new place; we cleaned, unpacked, and organized all of the ModCloth merchandise. But eventually, many of us had to leave and return to the office. It’s very exciting that we moved to a bigger warehouse, but we miss all of our warehouse friends!
Interesting Facts About Ambridge, PA:
- The area around Ambridge, Pennsylvania was originally settled in the early 1800s by The Harmony Society, a very conservative sect of the Christian religion that was founded in Germany. I recommend visiting Old Economy Village, which recreates what it would have been like to live there during that time.
Photo courtesy of Old Economy. I remember visiting this place and filming a “documentary” about it for class in fifth grade. They churn butter as part of the “show” and give you a sample. This alone is worth the admission!
- Once the society dissolved, the Harmony Society sold their property to the American Bridge Company, who incorporated the town of Ambridge in 1905.
- The town attracted thousands of immigrants and continued to boom, as the steel industry did, until the 1980s, when most of the country’s steel operations moved overseas. But during the town’s high point, the American Bridge Company was responsible for hundreds of projects across the country, from the Golden Gate Bridge in the west to the Brooklyn Bridge in the east!
Ambridge-Woodlawn Bridge/Ambridge-Aliquippa Bridge
- The movie, My Bloody Valentine, is set in Harmony, PA. I’ve never seen the original, but there is a 3D remake set for release in 2009 and it looks pretty great. As the trailer bills it, “nothing says date movie like a 3D ride to Hell.” Hmm. I’m also pretty sure you can see the bridge in the above picture in the trailer’s first few opening shots.
- Janice’s Sweet Harmony Cafe is pretty great. It’s like having your grandmother cook you your favorite lunch. Everything is made from scratch and they carry lovely homemade lotions and sprays.
- The most interesting fact about Ambridge is that it is the new home of the ModCloth Warehouse!! Here are some pictures of the move!
Susan preparing to open some boxes.
Daniel, Maggie, and Rachel: The Packing Dream Team.
Boxes and boxes and boxes and boxes.
Lacey’s always on top of everything, so why not these boxes too?