“So, Now What?” And Other Top Questions Answered

Whew! What an eventful few weeks!

There have been a lot of headlines about the acquisition, and a lot of reactions and emotions about the news shared with us over social media. As always, we take all your feedback to heart and use it to fuel our business to be better and more relevant for you, our community. We want you to know that we hear you! We’re listening. Please know that your feedback has always been the yardstick to which we hold ourselves accountable, and this has not changed. And as always, continue to hold us accountable! We are excited to get started in this next phase of our journey and welcome all your feedback along the way.

First, we know it came as a big surprise. The news leaked to the press before we were permitted to speak about it publicly, so for a few days we could only bite our tongue and wait. Once the deal was officially announced, our amazing teams in Customer Care and Social Media have been working around the clock to respond to your comments, answer your questions, and service your specific account and order needs. We are aware that some of you have expressed disappointment, confusion, or apprehension about us partnering with Jet.com and Walmart. Of course we respect everyone’s point of view and right to be heard. Now that the dust has settled a bit, we wanted to address some of your top questions and share with you our point of view on why we are excited about what this partnership means for ModCloth.

Why Jet.com/Walmart?
As a venture capital-backed start-up since 2008, the company would inevitably need to be sold at some point. While we can not share any of the confidential details around the sale, please know that this was absolutely the best outcome available to ModCloth. First and foremost, this provides us with the necessary resources we need to both run our business and accelerate our growth to achieve our larger mission. Growth will enable us to amplify our message, introducing ModCloth to more amazing women, and ultimately to have a bigger impact in the world. This also allows us to continue to operate as a stand-alone brand, as well as a complimentary one within the broader family of brands and businesses of Walmart.

Teaming up with Jet.com and Walmart enables us to improve our current customer experience, like better shipping options, easier checkout, more stores, a more streamlined returns process, etc.… there are so many things we can improve and build on for our customers now that we have more resources available to us than we had before. During the next few weeks and months, we’ll be working diligently to identify the most important opportunities to tackle first. But know that every decision we make will be made with you in mind and continuing in the spirit of doing well by doing good.

Does this mean you will sell your products at Walmart?
There are no current plans to sell anywhere other than our site, apps, and first store, but we certainly are excited to introduce ourselves to a larger audience and will look for smart ways to bring our unique, exclusive, and full-size range assortment to more customers — such as through Jet.com. As for our curated and growing collection of designers and branded vendors, we are eager to share with them this same opportunity to reach a larger audience.

What will happen to your employees?
Our incredible team across our three office locations in San Francisco, Los Angeles, and Pittsburgh, PA, as well as at our first store in Austin, TX, will remain intact and continue to lead ModCloth into the future.

Will your values, specifically your commitment to empowering women, be shifting?
Our brand purpose, values, and company culture remain intact, and in fact we see this as a great opportunity to amplify our message and share our values with a larger audience. We will continue to support women’s rights through living our values of inclusivity, body positivity, and female empowerment. Helping all women feel like the best version of themselves will remain our purpose, and we’ll continue to pioneer the changes in the fashion industry that we want to see in the world. Being the most inclusive fashion brand in America is an ambitious goal, and this partnership now accelerates these efforts. As we get to know our new colleagues at Jet and Walmart, we’ll look for ways to partner together to amplify our message and accelerate our efforts.

Are you still going to stand up for size inclusivity and lifestyle inclusivity?
Of course! That is at the core of our mission and will not be changing. We have made waves in the retail industry over the years by “dropping the plus” and integrating our sizing selection, signing an anti-Photoshop pledge, and promoting an authentic, positive and diverse representation of women of all shapes and sizes — in both our digital experience and in our first store in Austin, where all in-store apparel is available to try on in a full-size range of samples. This partnership will allow us to reach more women across the country to grow our inspiring and diverse community!

What about the quality of your product? Will it change?
We hope you’ve noticed our quality getting much better over the last few years – especially as we’ve rapidly grown our ModCloth branded apparel since it first launched in the Fall of 2015, as well as a rapidly growing selection of exclusive and proprietary product only found at ModCloth. We have also been actively eliminating vendor partners over the last few years that don’t meet our standards. This is something that’s really important to us, both now and in the future. We work super hard to bring you amazing quality at a great price. We love reading your reviews, especially when you share it along with your measurements. It not only helps us make improvements directly based on your feedback but also allows our community to use your feedback to give them confidence in shopping our assortment… so please keep the feedback coming! We are excited to see how this partnership will allow us to give our community even more value, with even better service to go along with the exceptional care you’ve always known from ModCloth.

+Please continue to share your feedback — we are always listening and learning from you. It’s critical to our success; and it holds us accountable to you, our community. Together, we will make this new partnership a huge success!!

With Love,
The Team at ModCloth

About ModCloth

15 Responses to “So, Now What?” And Other Top Questions Answered

1. Adrienne 04/01/2017 at 1:45 pm #

If you can improve returns, credits, and refunds that will be a big plus. I understand everyone’s concerns, but it seems to me this could be an improvement, as long as the quality and diversity of the product continues.
    I am very disappointed in the changes in the apps: although it shows measurements on the website, the apps do not, and this is just about the most helpful thing that any online store can offer; the app on my iPad shows pictures of clothing much bigger than the screen, which makes it annoying to look at something; I wish my order history would return and that my wish lists has not all been combined into one.
    I’m hoping in the future these app issues will be fixed. I will definitely keep a close eye on how things progress. Best of luck to you in this transition.

2. Lisa 04/01/2017 at 3:17 pm #

This does not address any of the hard questions posed. The important ones like treatment of employees, outsourced labor and the list goes on. Still disappointed.

3. ani 04/06/2017 at 2:20 pm #

I am so tired of seeing straight size models in the ” extended size” section. This models are not ” aspirational” to me. I don’t buy clothing because I aspire to be thinner. I want to wear fun clothes, in the size that I am.. Your disappearing plus models makes me not want to buy your brand. And, I was a super big fan, and spent a lot of money.

• Jen 04/08/2017 at 9:12 pm #

Same thing here. In the past, I dropped a TON of cash annually at ModCloth. But I find I have fatigue with the brand as there are fewer plus models shown vs. in the past. Not to mention prices keep going up and quality doesn’t expand to go with that. I liked ModCloth for quirky stuff I couldn’t easily find anywhere else, and now it seems there aren’t a ton of novelty prints for plus shopper like there used to be. I’ve largely taken my money elsewhere and it makes me sad.

4. Jess 04/06/2017 at 5:35 pm #

Will prices change at all?

5. TJS 04/06/2017 at 5:42 pm #

I am not interested in buying products from anyone associated with Wal Mart. So much for small businesses and independence. Sorry, I will no longer be a customer, and I was so happy to finally find made in USA plus-size products. It doesn’t always have to be about growth. Stay small. Serve your clientele. You don’t have to go big, expand, maximize production, etc. Why ruin a good thing? Make a reasonable profit, serve your employees well, and be satisfied with what you built. It was wonderful.

6. Mich 04/06/2017 at 9:55 pm #

I can’t express how disappointed I am in ModCloth selling out to the WalMart family. I would have NEVER paired ModCloth and WalMart/Jet in the same thought!!! ModCloth has always been what I would consider to be an ANTI-WalMart brand. Standing for small business, the American Dream, size & equality, fair wages, etc… I always believed in the values that ModCloth stood for which WalMart clearly does NOT. It is obvious that this was purely a financial decision. SO SAD TO SELL OUT. I don’t buy from WalMart because of what a terrible company they are and how they treat their employees, so for that same reason, I will no longer be a ModCloth customer either by association. There really couldn’t have been a worse partnership from which to align the ModCloth brand IMO. I will always appreciate my former experience with ModCloth & really enjoyed being a customer over the years!

7. Lindsay 04/07/2017 at 2:29 pm #

I have been a fan of Modcloth for years, but the disgust I feel for Walmart overpowers any interest I may have in the products you sell. I am a plus-sized customer with limited options, but between your need for “aspirational” models and this recent sell-out, I’m done giving you any of my money. I just used my store credit (as dirty as that felt), and have now unsubscribed from your mailing list.

8. Melissa K. 04/07/2017 at 3:05 pm #

But you didn’t “drop the plus.” You just changed the word to “extended” and continue to use regular sized models for most of the clothes. That’s not integrating– it’s just changing a word.

I’ve noticed the quality of clothes going down in recent months. Options seem to be going down for those of us larger girls, too. A lot of plus sizes that really only go to an 18, maybe 20.

Since you rebranded “plus,” I’ve felt less included. With this horrible sale to Walmart, a company that thinks plus-sized women should only wear tacky t-shirts and leggings, I feel unwelcome.

9. Vicki 04/07/2017 at 6:12 pm #

Very disappointed. The negativity surrounding Walmart for years is enough to make me sick. I don’t get it. You should have started the company with a loan, not greedy investor capital investors. You know you will change. You are going corporate. Too bad Mod Cloth.

10. Sara 04/10/2017 at 2:33 pm #

I cannot, in good conscience, shop a brand that turned its back on the ideals that drew us to it in the first place. The only room for improvement in this deal is through lining corporate pockets. When you address the real concerns about this, maybe we’ll listen. Until then, you will not see any more of my money.

11. L 04/11/2017 at 2:30 pm #

I don’t buy from Wal-Mart, and now, sadly, I don’t buy from ModCloth.

12. Alessandra 04/16/2017 at 5:50 pm #

It’s going to be really hard for me to stop shopping at ModCloth, but thankfully I can wean myself off with some return credits I happen to have.

I have been shopping at ModCloth for years (around five years, I’d say? Maybe longer?) and have always touted it to any and all who complimented my clothes. Now when someone happens to do so, I have to say instead, “Thanks, I got it at ModCloth, but they recently got bought by Walmart sooo…”

I’ll be looking into the brands I found through ModCloth and finding them elsewhere. I mean, seriously, what did you guys expect? ModCloth shoppers are very socially and environmentally conscious – it goes hand in hand with the hipster/indie fashion sense.

It’ll be interesting (and sad) to see just how much ModCloth tanks because of this. I hope one day you’ll be able to rectify this mistake.

13. Benesse 04/16/2017 at 6:37 pm #

Not sure how I feel about the Wal-Mart connection but related to it or not, the website and its content has gotten steadily less and less “special”.

Used to be I was on the ModCloth site several times a week, bought tons of stuff and coveted even more. Now I am hard pressed to find the one I absolutely have to have. Most of the clothes and shoes are dowdy and some are downright awful. Gone are the delightful Bernie Dexters, and the handfuls of Trashy Divas, Stop Starings and Emily and Fins are drowned in styles like Never Enough Ruffle A-Line Dress, There’s Always a Patch Long Sleeve Dress, West Coast Reveries Maxi Dress, I’ll Take This One Floral Top, It’s Best to Impress Romper, and Best of the Midwest A-Line Dress. K-Mart and Dress Barn of the 90’s but not in a good way.

And where’s the Vintage section?!

This criticism is entirely due my deep disappointment with this new stylistic direction and the loss of ModCloth that used to be unique, quirky and fun.

14. Danni 04/17/2017 at 11:45 am #

I am EXTREMELY uncomfortable buying extended sized garments based on how they look on stick thin models. Larger sizes are cut differently, and I refuse to spend my money on something that you’ve just added more fabric to without thinking about how it will fit. I know a multitude of women who feel the same way. I will happily return to ModCloth once this asinine decision is fixed.