We Support the Truth in Advertising Act (& So Can You)

Did you know that by the time a girl reaches the age of 17, she has seen over 250,000 ads? The vast majority of those ads are airbrushed and altered to create an ideal body image that is unrealistic. And 78% of those same girls surveyed also said they were unhappy with their bodies. Coincidence? We think not. We want to put an end to the harm these ads do to women’s and girls’ body images — so we’re doing something about it.

At ModCloth, our aim has always been the same: We’re committed to inspiring personal style and helping our community and customers feel like the best version of themselves. In 2014, we were the first retailer to sign a petition pledging not to materially photoshop our images. We have never materially photoshopped our models’ bodies. We also often use our own community members in our advertising to make sure we’re representing an authentic and diverse portrayal of women. And today, we took our message all the way to Washington.

201606_95416_DJM_1837_800xVHPictured: Our master of ceremonies Frances Holuba from POLITICO, Rep. Ileana Ros-Lehtinen, and ModCloth Co-founder and CCO Susan Gregg Koger.

This morning, our Co-founder and Chief Creative Officer Susan Gregg Koger spoke alongside Congresswoman Ileana Ros-Lehtinen on Capitol Hill at an event raising awareness of the Truth in Advertising Act of 2016. This bill calls for the Federal Trade Commission to develop regulations for over airbrushing, photoshopping, or altering the appearance of people in advertisements.

201606_95416_DJM_1855_800xVHPictured: Rep. Lois Capps and ModCloth Co-founder and CCO Susan Gregg Koger.

Here’s what Susan had to say:

“Portraying women in an honest and realistic way is essential to fulfilling our brand purpose of empowering women to be the best version of themselves. It demonstrates to young women that measurements are a fact, not a judgement. We want to lend our voice and the support of the ModCloth community to this movement to stop the extreme and harmful photoshopping of women in advertisements.”

And here’s what YOU can do:

Write to your member of congress and ask them to support the TIAA. It’s easy — just follow this link to send a pre-written letter, or you can draft and include your own personal statement. The more people who write to their representatives, the more likely they are to support this important legislation.

If you want to be part of the change, you have to be part of the conversation. Together, we can make a difference!

About ModCloth

16 Responses to We Support the Truth in Advertising Act (& So Can You)

1. beks 06/18/2016 at 11:50 am #

What Lizzy said!
    At 40 I can finally afford to shop ModCloth on a regular basis, so it would be nice to see something other than college age girls in your ads 🙂

• Carmel O'Connell 06/18/2016 at 5:58 pm #

Beks- I second that ! At 52 I am a long time lover and shopper of MC. But it would be seriously wonderful to see some fashions that compliment the beauty and allure of women our age. In any case, well done Mod Cloth !!

2. Sara 06/18/2016 at 5:53 pm #

I echo the age piece; at 33, I’m finally starting my career after earning my doctorate and would like to see wear-to-work clothes on people old enough to have a career! I would also love to see even more diversity. Typically, I see a dichotomous split between the XS-L sizes and the 1X+ sizing… not a ton of variety in the size categories. I buy a modcloth Large, and really never see a model who wears a large.

3. Magenta 06/18/2016 at 6:48 pm #

I adore ModCloth, but the fact is it sells clothing for young women. The vast majority of the items are appropriate for women much younger than I am. It kind of makes me sad, because I love the clothes but they would look ridiculous on me – and not because of size. Did you ever notice that “granny”-style clothes look adorable on someone they weren’t made for (i.e., someone young) – but not the other way around? Oh well, I guess we should be glad there is fashion for all sizes, if not all ages.

4. Jeanette 06/18/2016 at 7:09 pm #

Most definitely! It would be nice to see clothes for women who are more sophisticated in taste yet with the vintage/ retro style.

5. Lucinda Nicholas 06/18/2016 at 7:57 pm #

Yay for REAL! Thank you for championing this important cause!

6. Liz 06/19/2016 at 4:52 am #

Yay! Yes! Me, too–I’m about to be 49 and love Modcloth. 🙂 More age variety, please! (Btw, way to go on including the beautiful Colleen (featured on the “Advanced Style” blog of stylish older women) in a recent email ad! She’s lovely!)

7. Jennylou 06/19/2016 at 10:57 pm #

This is awesome to hear Modcloth and yes I second Lizzy & beks. At 35, I can now afford it AND I love that dressing up can be beautiful without “everything” hanging out or seen through. Thx!

• Jennylou 06/19/2016 at 11:05 pm #

I was excited to find your model call section on your site and was like, yay, apply. Then read “must be at least 5′ 6″ and age 18-30.” Maybe a change in the future? Even so, I love what you’re doing with Truth in Advertising.

8. Lorin Dixon 06/20/2016 at 12:55 pm #

YES! I am 46 and love the clothes- sometimes, though the sizing seems to be junior sizing- which is OK, but the waist height seems off.

9. ModNatalie 06/20/2016 at 3:40 pm #

Thank you all so much for the feedback! We always strive for inclusivity in fashion, and believe everyone should wear whatever makes them feel their very best. We have some exciting stuff in the works with Colleen Heidemann, so be on the lookout for that in the near future 🙂 Stay tuned!

10. Laurene 06/28/2016 at 7:12 pm #

I am 66 years old and have had no issues with buying clothes from Modcloth and other sites which use young, college age women, and younger, as models. I enjoy seeing the beauty of youth! I can choose to put myself in a cage or set myself free by simply wearing what keeps the hop in my skip! 🙂

11. Laurene 06/28/2016 at 7:38 pm #

One more thought for now. If one is looking for older models they can be found on such clothing sites as Coldwater Creek, Vermont Country Store, Blairs, and Gudrun’s, to name a few. Let’s not spoil a good thing! 🙂

12. Annette Vergara-Tucker 06/30/2016 at 4:43 pm #

Guys, thank you so much! I love that you are making this such an open discussion, I just spent a day with my baby cousin (a girl, so far) at a pool, and I was just blown away by the diversity there! All we see in magazines these days is photoshopped women with flawless skin, and it really worries me that the big-time companies are promoting such an unhealthy stereotype. I would much rather that my cousin grow up in a world where she can see that it doesn’t matter what she looks like, if she wants to strive for beauty in life, all she has to do is be happy. : )
    Thank you all so much for taking this important step!!!

13. Milla 07/01/2016 at 3:54 pm #

Please begin to carry more small sizes… You have so many large sizes but lack a lot of the small sizes that girls like myself need. xxs and up maybe :)?

14. Jeanette 07/07/2016 at 6:43 pm #

*Adding this to the list of reasons I love ModCloth!!* Very happy to see this post, thank you for your commitment and encouraging others to get involved. Another way anyone can participate is by agreeing not to Photoshop or alter our appearances on our own social channels (scary that there are so many apps that make it super easy for anyone to do this now!!). I personally have a firm no-Photoshop/altering commitment and encourage others to do the same! Thanks for being an awesome example of this ModCloth.