Story by ModCloth friends are some of the most motivated peeps we know, so we are continuing our exciting year-long campaign highlighting them. We’re calling it #inspiredbyyou, and it’s just that — useful, whimsical blog content that’s inspired by our ModCloth customers, readers, and beyond. Each month, we’re tapping fabulous storytellers and asking them to share their expertise right here on the blog. What better way to celebrate the ModCloth community than to showcase the incredible work being created by them? This month we connected with fabulous author Brittany Gibbons of the blog Brittany, Herself.
For two decades I feigned sickness and menstruation at the side of the pool, weakly waving at my friends splashing and laughing in the cool water from the comfort of my reclining chair in my oversized and sweaty coverup.
“Go ahead, y’all, I have cramps.”
“It’s actually not that hot here in the shade.”
“I’d love to join you, but I just don’t feel well.”
The truth is I didn’t feel well … in my skin. But as terrifyingly raw as wearing a swimsuit felt, being parked on a pool chair was no kind of life.
We owe it to ourselves to get in that water, already! I know, I know, easier said than done. But, swimsuit confidence is a very real, and super attainable thing. Take it from this 210-pound girl in a bikini — it’s a total life-changer. Here are some thoughts you might find useful:
1. Finding a swimsuit will never not be hard. You need to be okay with this.
I know we have this concept built up in our heads that when we try something on and it doesn’t fit, it’s because something is wrong with us. That’s a ridiculous notion, one piece of clothing can’t possibly be cut to flatter every body shape. Use each swimsuit misstep as a chance to learn more about the shape of your body, and then go right back out and try again. I used to be a fitting room attendant’s nightmare because I would take everything in that tiny dressing room. Now thanks to online shopping, I can do it from the comfort of my bedroom, but the take-it-all rule still applies. I am okay with trying 10 swimsuits on and having them not fit, if it gets me that much closer to the perfect one that does.
2. Learn your body shape and — spoiler alert — it’s amazing.
Bottom line: you will not feel confident in a swimsuit that does not fit your body. I don’t care that all your friends are wearing it, or that it’s totally in style right now, if it does not fit your shape, it will not flatter your shape, and you’ll spend your entire day pulling at it, picking at it, and stuffing things back into it. Take the time to find a suit that accentuates your skin, even if it means bucking a trend.
3. Feeling good in your swimsuit is 80% mental.
Alright, I don’t have the actual math on this, but 80% feels accurate, the other 20% being spandex or something. The point is, you provide the primary narrative for how others perceive you. People treat me like a sexy curvy woman in a bikini because I act like a sexy curvy woman in a bikini — my confident behavior doesn’t give them any other options.