The Style Gallery is a great new way for you to view, love, and share outfit photos. It’s meant to showcase all the expressive, creative, and inspirational personalities of our community!
When it comes to vacations of any duration, we know that enjoying the journey is the easy part! It’s once you’ve returned that you’re put to the task of making your memories into something timeless – like this charming travel collage, featured in our stylebook, Right at Home.
With just a few thrifted treasures and collected knickknacks, you can create your own framed composition to add culture and character to any space.
So grab your scissors, glue, and selection of cute keepsakes – It’s ‘all aboard’ to craft country!
“Right at Home” Framed Travel Collage
Travel-inspired items or souvenirs (We used the No Time Like the Present Gift Tags)
Kraft paper, scrapbook paper, or cardstock
1 photo frame with mat
1 package of metal brads or photo corners
Scissors or X-Acto knife
Tape or craft glue
1. First, prepare the backing for your collection of curiosities! Remove the mat from your frame and measure its inner opening. Add at least 1 inch to each dimension to determine the minimum size for your backdrop, then trim your kraft or scrapbooking paper. A little extra space won’t hurt, since the overlap will allow for a firm hold between your menagerie and mat.
2. Collect the souvenirs, ticket stubs, keepsakes, and photos you’d like to include! Prepare them for preservation by removing any strings, tags, or other bits that may get in the way.
3. Arrange your items on your freshly-prepared plot and consider a few different compositions! Don’t forget to leave a border for the mat.
4. If you’re using photo corners to attach each element, use a pencil to create reference points at each corner. You can even use a ruler or T-square to keep things looking level! Using brads? Use your pencil to indicate where each point will poke through your backing. If one of your artifacts is missing a hole, use your X-Acto knife to prepare a small incision.
5. Before inserting objects, attach each stick-on photo corner to its specific location and press. If you’re using brads, attach items one at a time and take a moment to flip your page to and firmly spread each set of flaps.
6. Place your mat face down on a clean, dry surface. Now, flip your collaged creation so that it too is face down, on top of the mat. If you’d like to use photo corners to fasten your composition, mark each point and attach each corner with a press.
7. Mount your collage to the mat by inserting it into the photo corners or applying tape at all four points. Secure the now-matted collage into the frame.
Ta-da! Your personal getaway gallery! For an even more exotic take on this destination-based design, explore the possibilities patterned paper tape, off-beat brads, and other recycled materials!
We’d love to see your completed collage at home in your adorable abode, so share a pic on our Facebook page, or tweet a snapshot @ModCloth! We love seeing your delightful DIY creations!
decor tips, wanderlust
Email (will not be published) (required)
© 2016 ModCloth, Inc. All Rights Reserved.