Wintry woes can give even the most adventurous of DIY-mongers crafter’s block, but don’t let that be you! This 5-step project — created specially for all you Moddies by Katie of Skunkboy Creatures — is sure to return you to a must-make state of mind.
DIY Dip-dyed Mittens
By Katie Shelton, Skunkboy Creatures
Old pot and plate
A sweater you’re ready to sacrifice
Sewing machine or needle-and-thread
Felt or yarn for personalization (optional)
1. Use pencil to loosely trace your hand atop graph paper to create mitten pattern.
2. Using pattern, cut out your two mittens (front and back), using the gathered bottom of the sweater for your cuffs.
3. Flip mitten pieces inside-out and either machine sew or hand-stitch around edges, leaving the bottom open and unstitched for wrists.
4. After both mittens have been stitched together, flip them right side-out.
5. Prepare dye. Then, dip the top of each mitten into dye. It will start to seep up the mitten’s fabric, so you’ll want to do this slowly. Once you’ve achieved your desired look, rinse mittens thoroughly and allow to dry on plate.
Embellish with felt cutouts or colorful yarn to personalize, then cozy up with your new, pretty pair!
Check out more totally do-able DIYs here!