Let It Snow: How to Make Your Own DIY Snow Globe

When the weather outside is frightful, we say make something delightful! Simply follow the steps above to create customized snow globes for yourself, or as a fun little gift.

For our snow globe, we opted for a generally festive theme, but if you want mini snow flurries in your globe, find icy-colored glitter and snowflake confetti to create those whorls of white. Snow globes are also great ways to capture memories — fill a globe with a souvenir from a recent trip to create a travel-themed globe, or locate an inside joke-ridden childhood trinket to make a globe for a friend. The possibilities are endless!

DIY winter snow globe

Will you be trying this DIY out this holiday weekend?

Suggested Posts

October 22, 2018
Haunt Now, Haute Later: Three Scary-Stylish Outfits
October 11, 2018

71 Comments

1. Avatar
    intomind 12/23/2011 at 1:00 pm #

wow this is like the coolest thing in the world!

2. Avatar
    Al 12/23/2011 at 2:28 pm #

if you add a drop of glycerin to the water the glitter snow will fall in a nicer way. Also, it’s usually best to used distilled water, which is free from minerals and bacteria which can cause some yucky issues.

Lauren Helen 12/23/2011 at 3:31 pm #

Great tips, thanks!

Monica 12/27/2011 at 1:13 pm #

I’ve made these using Mineral Oil/Baby Oil instead of water.

Rose 12/09/2014 at 7:06 am #

Making with my daughter for christmas gifts….she loves it and thinks this is easy….thanks for the tip on glycerin we will make sure we use it. We will post a pic or 2 when we are finished.
      Merry Christmas 😉

3. Avatar
    Lauren Helen 12/23/2011 at 3:31 pm #

This is a great DIY! I would never have thought to make my own, but you could put the cutest things inside! Thanks!

Kathi 01/20/2014 at 3:18 am #

I’ve made them with laminated pictures of the Grandkids with each Geandchild! They treasure them.

4. Avatar
    TheCoffee&CraftsChronicles. 12/23/2011 at 7:03 pm #

I really love this idea, I want to make so many!

5. Avatar
    Gabriela 12/27/2011 at 11:48 am #

this is so cool and seems so easy! im not usually the crafty type but this seems like a fun and cool way to spend an afternoon alone or with friends. thanks!

6. Avatar
    Julia 12/27/2011 at 5:42 pm #

it’s pretty cool but you should add a couple drops of glycerin, which slows down the glitter from falling.

Amanda 01/19/2012 at 11:28 am #

Where can you find glycerin?

Julia 01/19/2012 at 1:10 pm #

Joanne’s or michael’s

Ellen 11/25/2013 at 2:54 pm #

You can find it in cvs, walgreens, etc. in make up section

7. Avatar
    Anna (ModCloth) 12/28/2011 at 8:28 am #

These are all awesome tips! Our photographer, Mindi, said she’s made them using clear baby oil instead of water. It can get a little messy, so be careful and take your time, but the thickness of the baby oil gives the glitter an ultra-dreamy effect!

8. Avatar
    Darcy 12/31/2011 at 5:17 pm #

Another tip is to try and find non rusting glitter.

9. Avatar
    Sonia Wild 01/29/2012 at 7:50 am #

I remember doing these as a kid!!! Great way to re-use baby food/extra jars and unused little toys laying around!

10. Avatar
    Kristen Shaw 01/31/2012 at 9:20 pm #

This may seem like a dumb question but where can I get a jar that size to do this project?

heidi 02/18/2012 at 4:31 am #

I have used baby food jars.

Terri Tripp 11/30/2018 at 8:28 pm #

you can also use small jelly jars.

11. Avatar
    Kelly 03/09/2012 at 12:46 pm #

Where have you found figurines to fit into baby food jars. I’m struggling to find any!

Jaxx 05/31/2012 at 6:18 pm #

you can find figurines like this at the goodwill or garage sales 🙂

12. Avatar
    Ann 05/01/2012 at 2:05 pm #

What kind of glue did you use? We tried this project with Gorilla glue – the glue ended up dissolving enough to completely make the water/glitter/dish detergent part too cloudy to see the figure. And we used clear dishwashing liquid, as we couldn’t find liquid glyerin anywhere (including Michael’s).

Tanya 12/13/2014 at 7:12 pm #

I found glycerin in Walmart in pharmacy section

13. Avatar
    Katia 06/11/2012 at 4:58 am #

Where have you found jar and lid like image?

14. Avatar
    Lex 07/24/2012 at 2:31 pm #

Where did you get the glue that you used?

15. Avatar
    hannah 07/24/2012 at 10:55 pm #

ok i am trying to do this and i have tried different figurines and none of them will stay..what should i do differently

16. Avatar
    Brenda 07/26/2012 at 9:04 am #

If you add a tablespoon of glycerin (which you can purchase at the drugstore) it makes the snow (glidder)
    Float and sparkle much better. Worth the effort.

17. Avatar
    lheureuseimparfaite 08/07/2012 at 4:26 am #

Love your great idea, i reblog it ♥ ♥ ♥ !

18. Avatar
    Denise 10/27/2012 at 3:20 pm #

Martha Stewart says to use epoxy for fastening figurines she also suggests distilled water and glycerin as for jars you can buy bulk in canning section of various sizes hope these suggestions help

19. Avatar
    Meharwade 11/20/2012 at 4:26 am #

Good One…

20. Avatar
    PlainJaneBakes 11/29/2012 at 11:59 am #

You can find the waterproof glue in the crafting glue aisle at Michaels or Joanns. I found some at Walmart too. Just read the fine print, it’s not bold and big on the packaging, so you might have looked right over it.
    I’m making these for Christmas knick knacks for family and friends, but the issue I’m having is with the glitter pooling at either the top or bottom and then there’s just this big glob of glitter in one place. Any ideas how to remedy that?

Paloma 11/30/2012 at 11:02 am #

same problem!

21. Avatar
    Raquel Fernandes 11/30/2012 at 10:04 am #

Very Good

22. Avatar
    Paloma 11/30/2012 at 11:01 am #

sorry, is paraffin oil the same as glycerin? i tried with paraffin but the water got cloudy and glitters clusted in big glitter balls! same problem as @PlainJaneBakes. it is because of paraffin or did i something wrong? another question, does baby oil give a good effect? do you have to melt it also with water or use it alone? thanks and congrats for the great idea! 😉

23. Avatar
    plainjanebakes 11/30/2012 at 5:13 pm #

Even in the picture above though, it looks like it’s glopping at the top too, so maybe that’s just how it is when you add that much glitter. maybe a super fine glitter in small amounts would do the trick (even though i wouldn’t expect it to show up very well)

24. Avatar
    Mercedes K 11/30/2012 at 8:42 pm #

I didn’t read all the comments, but you can find glycerin at Walmart in the Pharmacy area. I used liquid glycerin for fake skin at halloween and looked everywhere for 4 weeks before finding it there.

25. Avatar
    Angela 12/07/2012 at 3:43 am #

I couldn’t find glycerine so I used a little bubble solution – worked great. Also, used clear shower caulk to “glue” the figurine down. Worked like a charm. The best thing – I had all the items already in the house!

26. Avatar
    Margie 12/08/2012 at 12:25 pm #

I tried with baby oil for one, water for another. Just ended up with a sticky, icky mess 🙁 Glitter clumps and sticks. Where did I do wrong?

27. Avatar
    rayasymanchas 12/10/2012 at 2:42 am #

Great job!!!!! I´m in love with your blog!

Visit my blog, I have a new giveaway

Teri Patterson 11/25/2018 at 1:10 am #

Hi my DIY snow globe came out wonderfully, but I have one issue. Once I fill the globe with distilled water, glycerin (dash), and glitter and shake and turn the snow globe right side up most of the glitter stayed at the top. Did I add too most glycerin or not enough.

28. Avatar
    Adriana 12/13/2012 at 8:28 am #

Sencilla y buena idea, se puede poner algún
    motivo navideño y transformarlo en una bola con nieve.!! Gracias!!

29. Avatar
    Anuszka 12/18/2012 at 1:22 am #

You forgot about gliceryne. U sholud use it, try.

30. Avatar
    Ashley 01/16/2013 at 7:10 am #

I tried these multiple ways. Plain water – glitter just sinks to the bottom. Water with glycerin – clumps of glitter on the top and sticks to the bottom. Water with baby oil – the oil separates from the water and the glitter sits between the two. Clear non-scented baby oil – PERFECT! It’s clear so no cloudiness, it doesn’t rust the figurine, and the glitter flows beautifully. Also, I used a hot glue gun to fix on the figurine and epoxy for the lid. Another recommendation, screw on the cap and leave on the counter for a few days BEFORE dealing with glue. This is so you can see if it gets cloudy or rusty or a color starts to run from the figure, you can just unscrew and start over. If everything is fine in a few days, glue the lid on.

31. Avatar
    K.g 01/30/2013 at 5:53 am #

Woow. I love it

32. Avatar
    Kelly 02/09/2013 at 6:16 am #

Amazing! I made this for my BFF, and I hope she <3s it!

kCurly 11/21/2013 at 5:40 pm #

Weird because that was what i was going to do!!! LOL, will it still work ok w/o glycerin?? or baby oil! i just wanna use water! will it be horrible?

33. Avatar
    report 03/27/2013 at 4:45 am #

I always used to study post in news papers but now as I am a user of net
    so from now I am using net for articles, thanks to web.

34. Avatar
    Sophie 04/27/2013 at 1:44 pm #

If you used sprinkled would they dissolve?

Aimee 05/21/2013 at 8:12 am #

Sprinked what? The smaller the glitter the better. I am finding glycerin and distilled water to work great….Look for water resistant glue to glue the figurine and lid. Glycerin is in the pharmacy area of shopping centers.

Gloria 11/20/2019 at 5:47 pm #

I tried all kinds of glitter and snowflakes. It still stays at top. Doesn’t look good as a gift.

35. Avatar
    Aimee 05/21/2013 at 8:20 am #

What would some one recommend to use for cutting snowflakes out with a hole punch?

36. Avatar
    marta 06/01/2013 at 12:26 pm #

this is really cool. i think i’m going to make one with a motorcycle inside for my boyfriend (he’s a biker). 🙂

37. Avatar
    mommyof2and3yearold 11/05/2013 at 7:38 pm #

my 2 and 3 year old and I are going to make these as Christmas gifts for those the munchkins buy for… thanks for all the great tips and thinking it just might be easier to use the baby oil… couple less steps for the kids to do lol. We will see what way is cheaper when pricing it all out 🙂

38. Avatar
    Debbie 11/27/2013 at 3:13 pm #

To keep this a low-cost project, shop resale and consignment stores for jars with lids, mis-matched wine glasses, etc. for the globe, esp. a resale that supports a non-for-profit in the community. You can save jelly jars, etc. Sometimes when I buy pasta sauce, etc. I look for a brand with a cool jar knowing that I will save the jar for the craft!

39. Avatar
    Lisa 09/30/2014 at 5:05 am #

Confetti might work as well if it’s the plastic kind

40. Avatar
    pam 11/23/2014 at 3:39 pm #

How much baby oil to water as I tried but my glitter is just floating on top…

41. Avatar
    Callmegranny 12/07/2014 at 3:30 pm #

So lovely!

42. Avatar
    Kelli 12/12/2014 at 8:35 pm #

what kind of glitter did you use? Is there a certain kind for making snow globes?

43. Avatar
    lorena 04/17/2015 at 7:13 am #

Can you use anything else but glitter
    Please tell me today!!!!!
    ????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????B-)

44. Avatar
    Ramleela Costume 11/04/2019 at 10:59 pm #

Ramleela Costume

45. Avatar
    Select ivf india 12/12/2019 at 6:15 am #

best website

46. Avatar
    rita 12/12/2019 at 6:16 am #

awesome blog

47. Avatar
    McAfee Support UK 01/20/2020 at 8:04 am #

Nice blog. McAfee support is very friendly nature and very corporate team. We always help you whether your major or minor issue related to McAfee antivirus installation/activation/setup etc.

48. Avatar
    Norton Support UK 01/21/2020 at 2:53 am #

Norton is one of the best and extraordinary security products that clients can install to secure their devices. It identifies and analyzes the gadgets intermittently to give finish assurance shield from the malware and other new viruses.

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Coup de ? blog : The mod clothes blog ? lheureuseimparfaite / 7 août 2012 Pas mal de jolies idées (déco, fringues, shoes…) sur the ModCloth Blog ! Là impossible de garder ce tuto « boule de neige | wahab5 - 12/19/2018

[…] jolies idées (déco, fringues, shoes…) sur the ModCloth Blog ! Là impossible de garder ce tuto « boule de neige » pour moi, fallait que je vous le fasse passer […]

2. Bola de nieve casera - DIY con glitter | Paso a paso | - 01/02/2019

[…] FUENTE […]

3. 8 ideas para reciclar tus frascos de vidrio! | AR Cocinas - 01/29/2019

[…] con envases de vidrio. Sin duda, el premio a la idea más kuki de este recopilatorio es para… ¡Modcloth Blog! por su “bola de nieve con perrito”. ¡Ya tienes planazo para decorar tu casa en […]

4. 50 Brilliantly Decorative Mason Jar Home Decorating Projects - Spration - 04/02/2019

[…] Tutorial: modcloth […]

5. 25 Fun And Inexpensive Christmas Gifts For Kids - 05/25/2019

[…] Via: Source […]

6. 50 Brilliantly Decorative Mason Jar Home Decorating Projects - Unfines - 07/18/2019

[…] Tutorial: modcloth […]

7. 29+ Clever and Easy Things To Do With Mason Jars (Ideas & Designs) - 02/06/2020

[…] Source […]