Show Off Your Wares with a DIY Shadowbox

As a collector of many a knickknack, I often find myself at a loss on how to properly display my trinkets. Enter the shadowbox. Shadowboxes are simple to create and offer a beautiful way to personalize a collection. So, gathering my collection of ceramic squirrels, I set out to construct a miniature world for them!

Do you have a collection? How do you like to display it?

About Julie O.

A lover of all things vintage and vintage-inspired, Julie bought her first 1950s frock in the fifth grade. Since then, Julie has become a self-described connoisseur of vintage and thrift shopping, which she shares on her blog, Orchid Grey. When sheโ€™s not scouring the racks for the perfect vintage skirt, this native New Englander can be found deftly navigating the slopes of a ski mountain, taking road-trips to the beach, and exploring new places with a vintage camera in her hand.

15 Responses to Show Off Your Wares with a DIY Shadowbox

1. striped girl 02/17/2012 at 1:25 pm #

doesn’t the word “wares” mean things you’re selling?

• Debbi in Texas 02/20/2012 at 7:03 am #

not necessarily, to wit: Archaeology . a group of ceramic types classified according to paste and texture, surface modification, as burnish or glaze, and decorative motifs rather than shape and color.

2. Kora 02/17/2012 at 3:59 pm #

I have a hole in the wall where there are some wires and “man stuff”. It was the only thing I thought that made it look decent without hanging something over. Its just a silly project I did for college with some film negatives and postcards from when I went to the Picasso museum when I was abroad.

3. Jess McDrinky 02/17/2012 at 4:56 pm #

That is so cool.

I was thinking about making one for a small sparrow’s nest I found that had fallen out of a tree. It’s in perfect condition, no bugs or mites. I’ll probably find some small decorative (fake) eggs and a birdy to put in it. Thanks for reminding me!

The only thing I collect is owls and I have them displayed throughout my apartment ๐Ÿ™‚

4. Alison 02/17/2012 at 6:00 pm #

So adorable! Can you find those boxes at any art/crafts supply shop?

• Julie O. (ModCloth) 02/18/2012 at 8:05 am #

Alison, Like Jade says below, these frames are pretty widely available. I bought this one in a chain craft store. Happy crafting!

5. megan 02/17/2012 at 8:30 pm #

i have a collection of 1″ pins from craft shows, friends and just all around cool finds.
    I just made similar shadow boxes to show off some of my favorites

6. Jade (ModCloth) 02/17/2012 at 10:20 pm #

This is such an awesome idea to display smaller collectibles! I don’t like clutter, so most of my small items are just in boxes :/
    Alison – I’ve seen these in a variety of department stores, thrift shops, pretty much most places that sell standard picture frames.. and they come in different sizes! ๐Ÿ˜€

7. Amy 02/18/2012 at 10:31 am #

I use to make these when I was a lot younger. This has brought back fond memories, and inspiration to find that glue gun and a frame!

8. Des 02/18/2012 at 2:02 pm #

That is such a cute idea!

9. Debbi in Texas 02/18/2012 at 7:25 pm #

oh yes, my shadowboxes showcase my grandmothers sparkly jewelry; her sets of brooches and earrings are too pretty to store away, but I won’t be wearing them. I artisticlalty arrange them, then hot glue them into a shadowbox with a backing of black velvet or neutral linen and they sparkle on my walls like artwork.

10. Juliette Gold 02/19/2012 at 1:59 am #

This idea is adorable! Too bad i don’t have a collection. Do you have any ideas? ๐Ÿ˜›

11. Andrea Lynne Rose 02/19/2012 at 7:11 am #

This is such a cute and easy idea. I would love to do something like this ๐Ÿ™‚

12. Anca 02/20/2012 at 2:13 am #

It is great!!! I will do one about owls and horses ..

13. melisscious 02/22/2012 at 10:48 am #

perfect! i am a knickknack collector myself and my place just ends up looking messy and full of clutter. i’m going to try this with my collection of random japanese mini erasers, thanks (: