The Style Gallery is a great new way for you to view, love, and share outfit photos. It’s meant to showcase all the expressive, creative, and inspirational personalities of our community!
The swish-swish of petticoats, the oily gleam of top hats, the hungry teeth of cogs — steampunk style seduced me the minute I first saw it well over a year ago at The Great Handcar Regatta. Buoyed by this inspiration, which has stuck with me as though epoxied onto my mind, I’ve set out on a three-day DIY adventure (to be unveiled today, Wednesday, and Friday). Care to join? Good! Well, let’s start by tackling DIY ruffs.
A Rough Guide to Ruff-Making
Fabric of choice (I used upholstery fabric for its stiffness)
Lace of choice
A pretty button
Sewing machine (or a needle and thread if you’re blessed with patience!)
1. Measure your neck. Add 2.5 inches to this measurement. This is your fabric length!
2. Cut a strip of fabric that’s 2 inches by the length you measured in Step. 1
3. Using a ¼-inch seam allowance, fold over the edges of this strip of fabric and sew in place.
4. Now, measure out two lengths of lace that are each double the length of your fabric.
5. Gather the lace. If you’re thinking, “But how?” just keep on reading:
6. Pin the lace to the edge of your fabric and sew in place.
7. Sew a buttonhole (your machine should have a setting for this) on one end of the ruff-to-be.
8. Measure the ruff around your neck to see where the button should comfortable sit.
9. Sew the button on.
That’s it! It’s a pretty quick and just plain pretty project. Any guesses as to the two remaining projects in this DIY series?
accessories DIY, diy, steampunk, Stitchcraft
This is awesome, Hannah!
Oh! I absolutely adore the steampunk style! I can’t wait to see what else you come share with us. <3
Ah-mazing! Need to do this now! Thanks for sharing! xx
Fab! And very easy too. Thanks for this great idea!
Perfect Christmas present for a friend of mine! She’d better get back to me with her neck measurements soon…
[…] third and final leg of my Steampunk DIY adventure was a bit more harrowing than the others. Iâ€™d set out, armed with some white vinyl and pretty […]
Email (will not be published) (required)
© 2017 ModCloth, Inc. All Rights Reserved.