Is it fall yet?! We’re only a few days away from the official start of the season, but we’ve been primed and prepped for quite some time. Fall is a very exciting time of year for fashion and festivities, so we’re mixing up a beverage that celebrates both the colors and the flavors of the season. Pantone’s color of the year, marsala, evokes the sensation of a rich, satisfying sip of red wine, so sangria was the natural choice.
Sangria isn’t just for summer, as this recipe proves. The bourbon (yes, bourbon) and cinnamon add warmth to this fruity beverage, making it perfect for sipping all season long.
What You’ll Need:
- 1 bottle red wine
- 1/2 cup bourbon
- 1 cup apple cider or apple juice
- 1/2 apple
- 1/2 pear
- 1/2 orange
- 1 peach
- 1 plum
- cinnamon sticks
- Slice all the fruits and put almost* all into a pitcher or punch bowl. (*Save a few slices for garnish, if you’d like.)
- Add 1 or 2 cinnamon sticks.
- Pour the entire bottle of wine in the bowl.
- Add 1/2 cup bourbon.
- Add 1 cup apple cider or apple juice.
- Refrigerate for a few hours (or overnight) to let the juices mix for maximum tastiness.
- Pour into glasses garnished with sliced fruit and/or cinnamon sticks. For an extra-sweet spin, twirl the rim of the glass in cinnamon sugar.
Variations on this recipe call for it being served hot, like mulled wine. It was still too warm outside for us to enjoy it that way, but we sure can vouch for the chilled version!
+What’s your favorite way to celebrate fall?