In celebration of Mother’s Day, this month’s muffin comes from the kitchen of my very own mom! When I asked my mother for her favorite muffin recipe, she recommend this sweet muffin that combines two of her favorite things, chocolate and cherries!
Cherry Chocolate Chip Muffins
Recipe from my mother. Makes about a dozen regular sized muffins, or two dozen mini muffins.
2 cups flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
¼ teaspoon salt
½ cup canola oil
2/3 cup sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2/3 cup milk
1 cup chocolate chips
1 cup of maraschino cherries, halved
1. Preheat oven to 350°F.
2. Sift flour, baking powder, and salt into a bowl. Set aside.
3. Whisk together eggs, oil, vanilla extract and sugar.
4. Alternate adding half of the dry mixture and half of the milk to the wet mixture. Gently stir until just mixed. Some flour may remain. Do not overmix.
5. Fold in the chocolate chips and cherries.
6. Fill greased muffin cups about two-thirds full with batter.
7. Bake for 15 minutes for mini muffins, and 20-25 minutes for medium muffins.
8. If desired, my mom advises making a sweet icing with the maraschino syrup, like that on the larger muffin pictured above. Just take about 2-3 tablespoons of the syrup and stir in powder sugar until you get a smooth, pink glaze. Spoon the icing over the muffins, or dip them in.
Happy Mother’s Day!