‘Grab-able’ gourmet goodies are easy-to-make when you take tips from the experts!
Achieving the correct combination of at-ease atmosphere and edible intakes is what makes the most memorable get-togethers run smoothly. That’s why we’ve enlisted the expertise of husband-and-wife duo Kasey and Matthew Hickey of Turntable Kitchen to help you plan that perfect New Year’s Eve soirÃ©e!
The crafty couple pairs one-of-a-kind recipes with complementary music to create special culinary experiences meant to satisfy the senses. They’ve made one especially for us at ModCloth, so all you have to do to entertain like a pro is prep and press play!
Read on for the recipe for Kasey’s recipe for Citrus-cured Salmon Lavash Crisps and Matthew’s accompanying New Year’s party playlist!
Kasey’s Citrus-cured Salmon Lavash Crisps
Makes 16-20 bite-sized servings
FOR THE SALMON
3/4 pound salmon
4 heaping tablespoons kosher salt
1/2 tablespoon sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons pink grapefruit zest
FOR THE CRISPS
1-2 large pieces soft lavash (found at specialty and Middle Eastern stores)
extra virgin olive oil
1 lemon, sliced into paper thin rounds
1. Combine salt and sugar in a small bowl. Place salmon in a ceramic or glass baking dish. Generously rub salmon with salt and sugar mix on both sides. Sprinkle evenly with grapefruit zest.
2. Tightly wrap dish with plastic wrap and let salmon cure in the refrigerator for 3 days.
3. Preheat oven to 375°F. Place one (or two, side-by-side, depending on how large the pieces are) piece of lavash on a baking sheet and use a silicone brush to cover with olive oil evenly.
4. Place baking sheet in oven and bake lavash until it becomes lightly golden and crisp (about 8 minutes). Watch closely. Remove from oven and let cool before dividing into bite-sized pieces.
5. Place salmon on cutting board and use a sharp knife to slice it into very thin strips. Cut strips into 2-inch long pieces and remove any bones.
6. Next, cut each paper thin lemon round into quarters.
7. To serve, fold a salmon strip in half and place it on a piece of lavash. Top with the quartered slices of lemon. Continue with the remaining pieces of fish and lavash. Arrange pieces on a rustic serving platter.
“These bite-sized appetizers go great with champagne!” says Kasey.
[8tracks url=”http://8tracks.com/turntablekitchen/turntable-kitchen-mix-for-modcloth” height=”600″ width=”600″]
“Here are some of my favorite tracks of the year. I focused on music that make for a great cocktail party,” adds Matthew.
Matthew’s N.Y.E. Party Mix
Party-ready beats ideal for kicking off new beginnings
1. “Exile Vilify” – The National
2. “East Harlem” – Beirut
3. “Hoop of Love” – Dominant Legs
4. “Lofticries” – Purity Ring
5. “Still” – jj
6. “Song of Abdication” – Thousand
7. “Green Light” – Leisure
8. “Brokendate” – Com Truise
9. “Beta Thought” – Evenings
10. “The Morning” – The Weeknd
11. “Black Hills” – Gardens & Villa
12. “Cira Regina e Nana” – Luccas Santtana
13. A”Damn Your Eyes (Etta James cover)” – Alex Clare
14. “Comme des Enfants” – Couer de Pirate