How’s this for a prom-posal: All the fun of high school’s fanciest fête, but none of the drama. If that sounds like the coolest thing since AIM, then this installment of the Friday Night In Club is for you! As Grown Adult Ladies, we oftentimes don’t get the excuse to put on our very finest gear and just cut loose– weddings have a certain amount of dress decorum, work events are strictly networking, and if you’re like me, you get weird looks when you show up to your local dive in a floor-length gown. Cue, the Adult Prom!
Adult Prom (or Homecoming, since it’s finally fall) is all about gussying up in special dresses that speak to you, and hanging with your squad at home, high school style. You could make it co-ed, but honestly, why not go gals-only for maximum fun (and minimum rented tuxes)? Keep scrolling for our party plan that’s perfect for a Friday night in!
What to Wear:
Frills. Embroidery. Lace. Taffeta. Channel your girliest desires and wear a dress worthy of an awkwardly posed prom pic. Sport hair and makeup that was popular when you were in high school (hello frosted lipstick!), or use the opportunity to try out a new undo you’ve been eyeing. We put together two prom-perfect looks to start the magic off right:
What to Drink:
I want to get this out of the way right now: if you’re in high school, don’t spike the punch. Underage drinking is dangerous and short-sighted, and could lead to even more dangerous, short-sighted stuff. End PSA.
But if you aren’t in high school… spike that punch like a volleyball at the Rio olympics, girl! I wanted a punch that was sweet, fizzy, and fruity, with a twin air of sophistication and approachability to match these rose gold party cups, equal parts laid back and classy to the max. Toast your glory days past, present, and future with this Spiked Blood Orange & Blackberry Punch!
- 1 cup chilled blood orange juice
- 1 litre chilled soda water
- 2 12 oz blackberry or blood orange sodas
- 1 cup rum
- ¼ cup fresh lime juice
- 1 cup fresh blackberries
- 1 blood orange thinly sliced (if you can’t find blood oranges, a regular orange works too!)
Mix together blood orange juice, rum, and lime juice in a punch bowl or pitcher. Add soda water and blackberry or blood orange sodas to taste, adding more soda if you like things sweeter. Garnish the punch bowl with fresh blackberries and slices of blood orange, or pour directly into cups and garnish each cup with a slice of orange and a sprig of rose leaf.
What to Do:
- Curate a prom playlist: Collaborate with all your buds on a prom playlist chock-full of throwback hits!
- Swap prom horror stories: Dress disasters, date mishaps, being stabbed by the corsage pin because who on earth knows how to pin a corsage? Regale your guests with terrifying tales of teen anguish.
- Break out the yearbooks: And let the laughter ensue. Major thanks goes to our stylist Leigh, who brought in her yearbooks to use as props, and gave us a major case of ‘those were the days… and we’re so glad they’re done!’
- Write your own superlatives: Because as an adult woman, different categories apply. Most Likely to go to bed at 9pm?First to Contribute to a 401K? Best Night-After Brunch Hostess? These are superlatives we can happily achieve.
+ What’s your favorite prom memory? Tell us in the comments!