Happy National Donut Day! To celebrate, we’ve got a rad recipe that puts a fresh spin on traditional donuts — these sweet li’l treats are gluten-free, low in sugar, and full of deliciousness.
Gluten-Free Banana Chocolate Donuts
These dense, cake-like doughnuts only have three tablespoons of maple syrup for 10-12 doughnuts. The frosting provides a sweet kick (and ensures you won’t get a sugar crash after eating)!
3 cups almond meal
3 Tbsp. raw cacao powder
¼ tsp baking soda
Pinch of sea salt
1 ripe banana
3 Tbsp. maple syrup
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
¼ cup chocolate chips (optional)
For Chocolate Glaze:
1 Tbsp coconut oil
1/3 cup chocolate chips
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. In large bowl, combine almond meal, raw cacao powder, baking soda, and sea salt. Mix ingredients.
3. In a food processor, process the ripe banana into a liquid.
4. Add liquid banana, eggs, maple syrup, and pure vanilla extract to the dry mixture, and combine until fully mixed. Add in chocolate chips, if desired.
5. Fill batter half-way in a silicone doughnut tray.
6. Bake 15-18 minutes, until batter is cooked the entire way through.
7. Pop out of the silicone mold, let cool, and cut out the middles.
8. Combine coconut oil and chocolate chips in a small saucepan and heat on low until creamy.
9. Dip the top of the doughnuts in the chocolate glaze and let cool.
10. Serve will a tall glass of almond or coconut milk, and enjoy!