The Style Gallery is a great new way for you to view, love, and share outfit photos. It’s meant to showcase all the expressive, creative, and inspirational personalities of our community!
If you’re anything like me, a picnic will be your top pick of activity for Labor Day this Monday. Instead of heading to the store to buy something to bring, here’s another idea: whip up some tangy salsa verde, sweet-infused guacamole, and crisp, homemade tortilla chips!
Now, I know you’re probably thinking, “Make all that? This overly chipper girl has gotta be crazy!” but believe it or not, the impressive little spread mentioned is pretty simple to prepare. Give these low-labor recipes a go, and you’ll be the star of your Labor Day picnic!
Recipe adapted from Mexican Everyday via Pinch My Salt
1/2 pound tomatillos, husked, rinsed, and quartered
2 serrano peppers, chopped (No seeds = mild. Many seeds = spicy!)
1 clove garlic, peeled and chopped
1/2 cup packed cilantro leaves
1/2 teaspoon salt
Squeeze of fresh lime juice (optional)
1. Toss everything in a blender or food processor and pulse to combine and get juices flowing.
2. Blend on low speed until a coarse puree is formed. (I used a blender and just pulsed it out.)
3. Pour into a dish, taste, and add more salt or lime if it tickles your fancy.
2 large avocados
½ medium-sized sweet yellow onion, chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
½ large mango, diced
1 lime, juiced
½ teaspoon ground cumin
Salt and pepper to taste
1. Halve and de-seed avocados. Place them in a bowl.
2. Add remaining ingredients to bowl and mash away (using a fork) until desired smoothness is reached.
Homemade Tortilla Chips
Corn tortillas (the fresher, the tastier!)
1. Preheat oven to 350°F.
2. Slice tortillas into triangles.
3. Brush both sides with oil.
4. Bake for 12-15 minutes, rotating the pan midway though.
Do you have any great picnic recipes?
um, YUMMMM!!! i absolutely LOVE any kind of salsa… i think i’ll go have some right now : )
Email (will not be published) (required)
© 2017 ModCloth, Inc. All Rights Reserved.