If nobody knows you like you know yourself, then by default, there’s no greater love than the one that begins from within, right? Valentine’s Day is the time to treat those you adore, but it’s also important to start with yourself. Not sure exactly how to commence the sojourn to self love? Read on, you beautiful creature!
Pump Up With Light Exercise
Get those endorphins flowing with a brisk walk around your neighborhood, a satisfying jog, or an interval training tutorial to maximize the most of your minutes. Countless studies have heralded the emotional health benefits of a good sweat session, and while cardio might feel like total trash for a few moments, the jubilant post-workout buzz is well worth it. Get in gear with the right accessories, like these:
Cool Off with a Documentary
Once you’ve tended to your body, indulge your brain with an at-home screening of an educational film. Expanding your mind is perhaps a more abstract form of self care, but it’s just as satisfying and profound as meditating or listening to a perfected playlist. Your pals will thank you for scoring those extra points on trivia night, you know.
Snacks, Of Course
What would a day of self-love be without food? Following a workout, you’ve definitely earned a delectable reward. Plus, there’s no better accompaniment to your documentary than this Crock It Like It’s Hot Dip with a side of chips and a complimentary libation. There are many things to adore about this recipe: the roasted corn, creamy cheese, spicy jalapeños, and beer… but, the greatest of all has got to be its simplicity. Just measure, toss in the slow cooker, stir, and let it rock.
Crock It Like It’s Hot Slow Cooker Dip
What You’ll Need:
- 3 cups of frozen roasted corn
- 1 fresh jalapeño with seeds removed, diced
- 1 beautiful red bell pepper, seeds removed, finely chopped
- A few generous scoops of minced garlic (I keep a big ol’ jar in the fridge because who honestly has the time to mince cloves where there’s so much self loving to be done?)
- 1 – 1/4 cup shredded pepper jack cheese
- 3/4 cup sour cream
- 3/4 to 1 cup of your preferred pale ale beer
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 12 ounces cream cheese
- A few strips of crisply cooked turkey bacon, crumbled
- Green onions galore
- Measure out all ingredients and toss into the crock pot, saving the cream cheese for last. (I used a 3.5-quart slow cooker, for reference!)
- Stir everything until uniformly combined.
- Place the cream cheese on top of the mixture in pieces, then cover and cook on high for 4 hours. Alternately, it can be cooked on low for 6-8 hours.
- When you’re ready to dig in, mix in the cream cheese, and top with the crumbled bacon and green onions. (Are you wondering the point of garnish if you’re just eating it solo? You are worth it — that is the point.)
+ This Valentine’s Day, let the greatest girl around know you love her. That’s right — I mean you!