Cheers to all the delectable delights of Autumn — kettle corn, pumpkin pie, and apple cider, to name but a few! When seasonal temperatures start to drop, nothing chases off the chills better than a toasty beverage.
Next time you pass a roadside farm stand, why not pick up a gallon of locally made apple cider and try these two hot cider cocktails — one from a published recipe, and one handed down from the recipe box of a dear friend. Both are sure to warm up your next festive fall gathering, and each recipe makes enough servings to keep all your guests cozy.
Hot Apple Raspberry Rum Cider (serves 6 or more)
- 6 cups apple cider
- 6 oz. raspberry syrup
- 6 tbsp. grated orange zest
- 5 or 6 whole cloves
- 1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 1/2 tsp cardamom
- 6 oz. dark rum
- whipped cream
- In a large saucepan, combine the apple cider, syrup, orange zest, cloves, cinnamon, and cardamom. Heat until steam rises from the surface, but don’t boil.
- Remove the cloves with a slotted spoon.
- Pour the mixture into mugs, adding 1 oz. rum to each, and stir.
- Garnish each mug with whipped cream & dusting of cinnamon.
- 1 gallon local apple cider
- 1 handle of your favorite whiskey or bourbon
- 3 lemons, juiced
- A few cinnamon sticks
- A few cloves
- Nutmeg (a few shakes)
- Honey (just a squeeze)
- “Heat” (juice from ginger root -OR- cayenne pepper — see below)
- In a large pot and over medium heat, heat the apple cider, along with juice from lemons, cloves, nutmeg, several cinnamon sticks (to your liking) and honey, stirring occasionally.
- Once it’s hot, but not quite boiling, remove the mixture from the heat. With a slotted spoon, remove all cloves, cinnamon, and lemon seeds.
- Next, add your “heat”! Choose one of the following options:
* HEAT OPTION 1: Juice from ginger root (1/2 cup). Using a juicer is best, but you can also pulp peeled ginger root in a food processor and squeeze out the juices, little by little. Take care to wear plastic gloves, as ginger can burn at bit!* HEAT OPTION 2: Cayenne pepper. Add a little bit at a time, tasting along the way until you reach your desired level of zing!
- Add the alcohol a little at a time, tasting along the way until you reach your desired level of potency.
- Serve hot off the stove in mugs or mason jars, like the Clever Pair Mug Set, or pour it into a vintage camping container for a tasty & toasty to-go treat for a walk through the fall foliage!