We’d like to go on record saying you’re never too old to chase down the ice cream truck and cool off with one of the classics. But, if your diet doesn’t allow for you to indulge in the offerings found at the end of this iconic summer sprint, you might instead find yourself chasing down a good recipe. Well, your rush ends now; we’re here to help with a great gluten-free, dairy-free, and added sugar-free recipe for vegan ice cream sandwiches! Added bonus: no baking involved.
Here are the ingredients you’ll need:
- 1 cup pecans (walnuts work, too)
- 1 cup dates, pitted and chopped
- 1 heaping Tablespoon cacao powder
- Pinch of Pink Himalayan salt
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon unsweetened vanilla almond milk
…and of course,
- 1 pint of your favorite non-dairy ice cream
Every ingredient (except the ice cream) will be used to make the cookies. Here’s what you do:
- Add the nuts to the bowl of a food processor and pulse until they become a fine powder.
- Throw in the rest of the dry ingredients and continue pulsing until they’re mixed.
- Now, add the wet ingredients into the food processor and pulse a few more times until everything starts to stick together.
- Line your counter with parchment paper and dump the mixture onto it. Place another piece of parchment paper on top, flatten with your hands a bit, then using a rolling pin, roll out the dough.
- Using the rim of a drinking glass or the cookie cutter of your choice, cut an even number of cookies out.
- Toss your cookies in the refrigerator for 20 minutes (or up to overnight) and with a few minutes left, pull your non-dairy ice cream out of the freezer to soften.
- Assemble sandwiches with about 2 scoops of ice cream in-between and decorate sides with whatever toppings appeal: vegan chocolate chips, nuts, chia seeds, blueberries, and beyond!
- Enjoy, obviously!
+What other vegan versions of your favorite treats would you like to try?