On the Fly: Fresh Fashion From 1980’s Rolling Stone Covers

Lingo isn’t the only thing from the 1980s that’s worth repeating. These summer issues of Rolling Stone serve as trend lessons for what worked way back… well, not so long ago. Check out what fashionable features we dug, and see if you can pinpoint which ones we overlooked. (Ahem, hard-drying hair gel, anyone?)

Issue no. 425 – July 5th, 1984.

Issue no. 472 – April 24th, 1986.

Issue no. 475 – June 5th, 1986.

What 1980’s fashions are you a fan of?

About Laura

Easy Makeup for Going Out: Featuring Anna Sui Beauty
October 22, 2018
Haunt Now, Haute Later: Three Scary-Stylish Outfits
October 11, 2018

6 Comments

1. Roxanne the Dainty Librarian 05/19/2011 at 1:20 pm #

When I was in high school (about 5 years ago) I was obsessed with the 80s and when we had an 80s dress up day people thought I didn’t dress up because I was wearing pretty much what I usually wore. It’s hard to say if I was ahead of my time or way behind in the times!

2. Peaches 05/19/2011 at 6:05 pm #

Treasures! To think I threw out a whole garage full of them years ago. If you ask me, the best 80’s eye candy are in the old “Sassy” magazines…hard to find, but holy cow, they are fun to gawk. Equal parts amazing and embarrassing. The 80’s weren’t easy for everyone….

3. Kate Monster 05/20/2011 at 6:09 am #

I was a fan of the gigantic sleeves, because them being a trend in the 80s means humanity learned its lesson before I was born, and I never have to experience them in person. Thank the deity of your choice that enormous, man-eating sleeves have come and gone, and are now nothing but a horrible memory. In seriousness, I was a fan of everything David Bowie ever wore, though possibly only because David Bowie was inside it..

4. Brielle 05/20/2011 at 12:00 pm #

I like slightly oversized sweaters. You can always make them feminine, and they are versatile and easy-going.

5. Lisa Dobson 05/21/2011 at 10:06 pm #

Hahah I dressed and wore my hair like the GoGo’s back in the day. Still kind of do. As a matter of fact, those gals look like a bunch of Moms having fun.

6. kmd 05/23/2011 at 3:51 pm #

I lived through the 1980s once and feel no need to do it again, thank you very much.