Our Top 10 Favorite Fairy Tales

ModCloth Puggle Brussels GriffonJapan’s “Bunbuku Chagama” and Russia’s “ Vasilisa the Beautiful.”

As a ModCloth writer, my job includes coming up with fun product names and descriptions. The Writing Team draws creative inspiration from just about everywhere–nearby neighborhoods, family keepsakes, post-Impressionism art–even nostalgic childhood cartoons!

A personal source of inspiration lies in the wit and whimsy of fairy tales. As a writing major, I enrolled in a number of diverse literature classes, including one that explored the disparate themes amongst international fairy tales. It was then that I first learned about tanuki, the tenacious raccoon dogs popular in Japanese folklore, and Baba-Yaga, an ominous, pestle-riding old woman from Russian fairy tales.

Below, you’ll find my list of favorite fables. You won’t find a Sleeping Beauty or a Little Red within this roster, but you may just find a new favorite!

10. Banchō Sarayashiki–Japanese
9. The Wonderful Adventures of Nils–Swedish
8. The Dreaming Tree
7. The Scorpion and the Frog
–West African
6. The Seven Foals
5. Misfortune–Italian
4. Chang’e and Houyi the Archer–Chinese
3. The Enchanted Doe
2. Bunbuku Chagama
1. Vasilisa the Beautiful–Russian

Did I miss your favorite? Tell me about one of your cherished fairy tales in the comments below!

16 Responses to Our Top 10 Favorite Fairy Tales

1. VICKI 01/06/2011 at 10:36 am #

what a great idea, i love hearing new and interesting fairytales i cant wait to read these ones! my granny left me a hans christian anderson fairytale book published in the 1920’s its one of my most prized possessions. 🙂 x

2. Anna 01/06/2011 at 11:54 am #

Wow! I am Russian, from Russia and I am so touched that Vasilisa was included, as it is one of my favorite childhood memories. This totally made my day!

3. Annie (ModCloth) 01/06/2011 at 3:17 pm #

Aw, Anna, I’m so glad to hear that! As you can tell, Vasilisa the Beautiful is my all-time favorite. Vasillisa is such a strong and inspiring character!

4. alyse 01/06/2011 at 6:51 pm #

I haven’t heard of any of these, but I will be sure to read them!
    My favorite fairy tale is “The Necklace of Princess Fiormonde.”

5. RadioRae 01/06/2011 at 7:38 pm #

I love this list!! I adore fairytales, so seeing a bunch of new ones I can read makes me excited : ))) Thanks so much!!

I am really fond of japanese fairytales… some of my favorites are The Toothpick Warriors and the story of Momotaro : )

6. Jenn (ModCloth) 01/06/2011 at 8:33 pm #

Aww, my mom told me the story of Chang’e when I was a little kid! Great list, Annie!

7. Dima 01/07/2011 at 6:50 am #

What a lovely list!!,I like The Wonderful Adventures Of Nils,and the cartoon was one of my favourites ..I would also like to add 1001 nights ,there are some really good stories in there..maybe you can have a collection of fairytales here on ModCloth with really cool covers and illustrations !?!

8. Bri 01/07/2011 at 12:48 pm #

Never read any of these…
    but I really like “Rose Red and Snow White” and “The Twelve Dancing Princesses”
    ….both a little underrated if i do say so myself

9. Larissa 01/07/2011 at 7:24 pm #

Actually I’m feeling a little ashamed – I’m brazilian and I’ve never heard about the Dreaming Tree! Very nice fairy-tale (I read it now!!) and also very nice of you to look for foreign culture in your work. Congrats! :o)

10. Sharon 01/07/2011 at 9:37 pm #

Mine favorite tale is Allerleirauh or Many Furs. It is a Grimm fairy tale that is not as well known. I love the tale because it has three parts to the story.

11. f.f. 01/08/2011 at 4:11 pm #

“The Star-Money” is one that still makes me tearful.

12. Natalie 01/09/2011 at 11:14 pm #

I don’t know where my favorite was originally from… It’s called “Cherry the Frog Bride” in America..

13. Julia 01/24/2011 at 5:51 am #

One of my favourites is “The Raspberry Worm” and “The Birch and the Star” (Finnish fairytale)

14. Annika 02/20/2011 at 11:30 pm #

my favourite fairy tale is Sweetheart Roland! I also love The Goose girl.

15. Sara 03/10/2011 at 12:22 pm #

Awesome list 🙂
    My favourite fairytale is the classic, “Little Red Riding Hood” 😀

16. Cary 09/08/2011 at 9:49 am #

Fairy tales have such powerful, long standing lessons to teach about humanity – our joys, our sufferings, transformation and even entertainment. I love ModCloth’s tie in to these universal life lessons