Page Turners: Out-of-the-Box Office Wear Inspiration

“Hannah, when are you going to get work clothes?” my mom used to ask me when I spent a summer interning in Boston. And yeah, my closet full of crazy prints, bright colors, and self-reconstructed thrift store items didn’t really add up to “proper” work attire. I made it through the summer without a pantsuit, though, and thus reaffirmed my belief that ‘professional attire’ doesn’t have to be boring.

This editorial from the July, 1955 issue of Charm proves, ‘briefcase’ in point, the theory that one can find office-appropriate garb without sacrificing style. So, as you prep and pack for your summer internships in the city, look to this editorial’s sharp silhouettes, demure sleeves, and longer-length skirts for ideas!

Do you have any tips for keeping chic in your work wardrobe?

About Hannah

Easy Makeup for Going Out: Featuring Anna Sui Beauty
October 22, 2018
Haunt Now, Haute Later: Three Scary-Stylish Outfits
October 11, 2018

7 Comments

1. Sunita 05/18/2011 at 3:40 pm #

Thanks for this! Luckily, I don’t have a dress code at work, but if I did, I would totally go for those looks!

2. Laura 05/18/2011 at 6:50 pm #

You can never go wrong with a fitted, black blazer! It’s the type of form-flattering item that never goes out of style.

3. Joyce Cee 05/18/2011 at 8:42 pm #

Mother’s you got to love them. those fitted dresses are elegant.

4. THEPAISLEYTAB.COM 05/19/2011 at 9:36 am #

I love these pics. Women back then always looked so beautiful and perfectly tailored.

5. C 05/19/2011 at 10:24 am #

I second the blazer comment. I have some trial and error experience here. For reference, my office is pretty conservative. Be careful to buy suits/pants that are a good fit. You can get some good deals on second hand stuff, but sometimes the new stuff is worth it. You can get more creative with shirts and accessories. Also, CARDIGANS ARE THE HOODIE OF THE WORK WORLD. I get so much mileage out of mine. I’d like to add more 40’s style skirt suits to my wardrobe, think Lauren Bacall in “To Have and Have Not”.

6. Kelly 05/23/2011 at 8:16 pm #

Cardigans ARE the hoodie of the work place! Right on! And they can be a feature piece in their own right used to spice up an otherwise boring outfit. A safe way to express your creative stylish side in a conservative office. I think this is key in building a stylish work wardrobe that shows your individuality. Have basics that you can work together with more ‘out there’ or on-trend pieces. That way the look will never look over done and you’ll be regarded with praise for your style.