We here at ModCloth love cocktails. Truly, we do. Ask around.
When tasked with choosing one to share for National Cocktail day, I wanted to pursue something that would satisfy my need to learn something new along the way. The most viable libation candidate became very clear after asking myself a few important questions:
- What’s a drink that delights ‘round the clock? I’m talking about brunch, lunch, second lunch, dinner time, late night snacks — any time, really.
- What kind of cocktail would permit friends in varying time zones the comfort of celebrating this momentous occasion right alongside us?
- Bonus round: what could I learn to whip up that touches every part of the food pyramid?
These are not trick questions, folks. If the answer isn’t quite obvious yet, I’ll let you in on the gist: it’s the Bloody Mary, and all of her gorgeous variations!
I did relentless research, trying to find the perfect recipe that would liven up — in my humble opinion — the best national holiday on the calendar. I interviewed a talented mixologist pal (thanks, Mike!) and brainstormed with cherished friends-turned-test subjects to get the aesthetic and flavors at the perfect mix of classic and quirky. The first few experiments weren’t exactly easy, and after playing with proportions and being endlessly encouraged, I barreled forward to create one fantastic Bloody Maria, so all you have to do is follow along!
Note: Much like experiencing your own happiness, you decide what makes your drink perfect. These measurements are suggestions, so feel free to adjust as your palate sees fit!
Second note: The taquito is not optional. Trust me on this one.
What you’ll need:
2 oz. tequila
4 oz. tomato juice (I used the peppered kind for extra ‘oomph’)
3-5 generous dashes of Worcestershire sauce
1 teaspoon minced garlic
2 teaspoons coarsely ground pepper
Several shakes of your prefered hot sauce (also for ‘oomph’, I employed chili-garlic hot sauce)
A healthy heaping of horseradish
½ of a lime
1 tablespoon crumbled queso fresco
A fresh jalapeño
1. First, brace yourself, because this is going to be great. Add all of the above ingredients into a cocktail shaker, sans the queso fresco, jalapeño, ice, and taquito.
2. With the leftover juiced lemon half, wet the rim of your glass. Then, coat the rim in queso fresco, and feel free to ooh and ahh once you’re finished.
3. Using a second glass, pour the Bloody Maria mix between your shaker and your alternate vessel. No need to shake it; you just need it to be well-mixed.
4. Add ice to your rimmed glass, followed by your single taquito.
5. Pour your masterpiece into your frosty, cheese-adorned glass, and garnish with a slice of fresh jalapeño.
Voila! The only way to make this particular treat even more zesty is by pairing it with an equally impressive cocktail dress.
Cheers, friends, and a very merry National Cocktail Day from our mini bar to yours.