Amsterdam is a culture-stuffed city exploding with super sights – enough to keep you occupied for days on end. Ready to learn about some of what there is to see? Gouda! Oops, we mean good!
1. Admit it: ClichÃ© though it may be, you love Van Gogh’s work. Who doesn’t? Plan an exploration of the busy, yet beautiful Vincent Van Gogh Museum. You’ll be surprised to see how Van Gogh’s work evolved over the years, delighting in early masterpieces such as “The Potato Eaters” and his later works like “Tree Roots.”
2. In the mood for some thrifting? From vintage dresses and old military uniforms, to retro records and bizarre bric-Ã -brac, the Waterlooplein Flea Market is a great way to satiate your shopping needs and spend some time outside. You can even get a tattoo at one of this market’s curtained booths, but we recommend a more comfortable visit of simple browsing, ending with a cone full of hot, wedged fries from a food stand.
3. Ever wonder what it would be like to live in a boat on Amsterdam’s canals? Well, the Houseboat Museum is here to answer your questions. Small, yet informative, this floating museum will show you what residing on the water is all ‘a-boat!’
4. Buy a fresh stroopwafel from a vendor at Albert Cuyp Market. Savor its warm, gooey, sugary superbness as you wander along, letting your eyes feast upon the miles of stands quaking full of flowers, cheese, clothes, and other odds and ends.
5. Take a spin out of the cycle of city living by hopping on one of Mike’s Bike Tours. Although Mike’s offers city visits, you’ll want to hop on their countryside tour, which begins in the urban streets and urbanely rolls out to see some typical Dutch delights, including a stop at a cheese farm!
There’s so much more Amsterdam has to offer. What would you recommend?