The Style Gallery is a great new way for you to view, love, and share outfit photos. It’s meant to showcase all the expressive, creative, and inspirational personalities of our community!
If we learned anything from this year’s SXSW, it’s that we’re a bit enamored with Texas. The Lone Star State is home to SXSW and the newly minted Texas Style Council Conference, good food, good music, and blogger Kendi of Kendi Everyday. We asked Kendi to give us her must-see, must-do tour of her state capital, Austin.
So, pack up a suitcase, because we’re heading into the heart of Texas!
Greetings! Our tour guide, Kendi, wears the Lovely Day Dress, paired with the Oh Pear Bracelet and Recap T-Strap.
1. The Capitol. “Not to get all educational on you, but when in Austin, visit the Capitol. If there is one thing that Texans are proud of, it’s…well, Texas. The Capitol in smack dab in the middle of downtown, spanning four blocks of governmental glory. Plus, if you visit on a hot summer afternoon, it’s free and air conditioned, and you might learn a thing or two.”
2. South Congress. “One of my favorite streets in town is South Congress, affectionately known as SoCo. On any given weekend, the streets are flooding with live street music, local vendors, and people. Not to mention some of the best vintage shops in the city and wall murals that would make any fashion blogger’s heart melt. One of my favorite parts of South Congress are the food trucks, strategically parked vehicles that serve cupcakes and organic goodness.”
3. Uncommon Objects. “While on South Congress, one of my favorite stores to pop into is Uncommon Objects. It’s part vintage, part crazy great-aunt’s attic, so you never know what you can find.”
4. Quacks Bakery in Hyde Park. “If I could live anywhere in the city, it would be Hyde Park. Not only for the streets lined with adorable houses, but because of Quacks Bakery and Coffee Shop. Peanut butter frosting on a chocolate cupcake; I’ve moved locations for less of a reason that that.”
5. Town Lake. “The city of Austin is adamant about preserving the natural habitat, made evident by the many parks that intersect with city life. After walking South Congress all day, take a stroll down to Town Lake. I could people watch and lie on the grass for hours there. And if you’re into exercise, there is a fantastic trail to walk, hike or bike. (Best part: Dogs are always welcome.)”
6. Music. “Austin is the Live Music Capital in the World, so, obviously, there is music everywhere and anywhere. On the streets, on neighborhood porches, in venues large and small. If you can’t make it to the Stubb’s for a concert, take a stroll along some of the busier streets and you’ll find many talented musicians along the way.”
Thanks for the tour, Kendi!
austin, style bloggers, texas
I absolutely loved this tour by Kendi! Austin looks like such an amazing place and I’d love to visit someday. This is definitely my favorite feature on the ModCloth blog. 🙂
I love this tour! Makes me want to move to Austin or at least visit!
Aw, I love Kendi! This is such a fun feature!
Oh, now I totally want to visit Austin – and loving that dress too!!
Such a cool feature! Loved Kendi’s tour. 🙂
(And that chocolate cupcake with peanut butter frosting looks AMAZING.)
It is AMAZING. I can’t think of anything more to say than that.
Lovely. The pictures and the clothes, makes me really want to go to Austin. Hopefully I can go there. 🙂
Miss Kendi is my absolute favorite!
Had the pleasure of meeting Natasha at Retail Camp LA today – what an honor!
Loving Modcloth, now and always!
I did 2 fire assignments to Texas well west Texas not very pretty and everyone told me that the only place worth seeing in texas is Austin.
As someone who was raised in west Texas, I’d say that’s a pretty true statement. Austin and the Hill Country is my favorite by far.
Modcloth!!! Thank you so much for featuring my favorite city in the whole world and my soon to be home!
Love this tour of my hometown! There really is so much to do here and I love all of the places that Kendi selected!
oh this is such a great feature! i love the pictures. and it’s just so fantastic to see what Kendi recommends!
This tour looks like so much fun! I mean, who wouldn’t want to spend a day strolling around Austin with Kendi?
Such lovely photos!
Such a sucker for anything Kendi! Plus I’ve always wanted to visit Austin 🙂
I’m moving to Austin this Sunday – perfect timing! Super excited to be a part of such an amazing community.
Love this!! I am also a fellow Austin/blogger. Glad to see we are getting some love in this great city 🙂
I HEART Austin! I blog out of Houston but only wish I could blog out of Austin! SoCo Cupcake Trailer is the best!
What a great feature. Loved this tour, defintely made Austin sound more appealing, and what a perfect dress to play tour guide in!
Modcloth features are fun to start with, but especially with this fabulous blogger lady! This makes me want to dash off to my airport and come visit Austin myself.
I went to UT and have such a soft spot for Austin. This was a great insider tour of one of my favorite places. Thanks Kendi!
Great tour, Kendi! I would love to return to Texas someday!
How fun! Kendi, you look gorgeous in that dress and those photos are perfect!
I loved getting a tour of Austin! So fun 🙂
what a perfect day around austin! i think we’d all like to hang around town with kendi – she’s so cool! and her dress is adorable!
I LOVE Austin. It’s one of my favorite places in the world. And Kendi is right, if Texans are proud of anything it’s Texas 🙂
Austin looks like it would be a fun place to visit! Great tour, Kendi!
Love the Kendi tour!
I am now going to add Austin to my big USA trip I am taking in a couple of years. (I’m from Australia).
Cute dress too!
Such a cute feature! I’ve never been to Austin, but I’d love to visit sometime. =)
Just fantastic! I can’t wait to visit Austin.
This is so fun! I was in Austin for the TxSCC, and wish I had this awesome guide before we went. Oh well, there’s always next year! 🙂
It’s iike you followed me around town. These are all my Austin favs.
This is so cool. I have to go check out the prior Modcloth posts on town tours with local bloggers. If you want one done in Dallas – I volunteer my services!! 🙂
I loved seeing a hometown person’s side of the city. Never been to Austin, but it looks like an amazing place! If you ever want to see a blogger’s side of Memphis, TN, holler at me 🙂
Nice review, but we don’t refer to it as SoCo. Only visitors/real estate agents do. 😉
Very good review. Cute dress !!! I’ve been to Austin on business and I guess I didn’t know all about these cool things to do!! Next time I go, I’ll book an extra day to check these places out!!
Ah the obvious Austin tour- Congress, food trucks, and music. I promise there is so much more to Austin than that!! Come back to Austin Kendi and do a tour of places not found on the beaten path!!
Email (will not be published) (required)
© 2016 ModCloth, Inc. All Rights Reserved.