The Style Gallery is a great new way for you to view, love, and share outfit photos. It’s meant to showcase all the expressive, creative, and inspirational personalities of our community!
In this outfit: Finger Lakes Blouse, Elemental Skirt, Jazz Feet Flat, Hoot, Hoot, Hooray! Earrings, Opal of My Eye Ring. Photo: Watkins Glen State Park
There’s a little haven tucked into the hills of upstate New York. It’s called Ithaca, and in the summer, there’s no better place to visit. It’s best known for being the home of Cornell University, but there’s a free-thinking spirit in the town that gives it a punch of pizazz. In addition, Ithaca will wow you with its hikes, swimming holes, festivals (including June’s Ithaca Festival), and more than enough marvels to fill a weekend away!
Photo: Flickr user ori0nis
1. Vegetarians, welcome to your heaven. Carnivores, great ready for some meat-free marvels. Ithaca’s vegetarian Moosewood Restaurant is a collectively owned eatery, renown for its innovative and scrumptious dishes. Their constantly changing menu is so tasty, you’ll be wowed enough to buy the restaurant’s whole series of cookbooks!
2. Whether you’re looking to camp, hike, or take a dip, Treman State Park will knock your socks off. Head up the forest-laden trail for a view of the gorge, and then, change into your swimsuit and hit the cool green water. If you’re feeling spirited, try climbing across the face of the swimming hole’s waterfall without falling!
3. Hop in the car for a visit to the Finger Lakes wineries. Set against the canvas of sparkling lakes, these cute little wineries are great for touring and tasting. Don’t miss the nearby Watkins Glen State Park, which is rife with waterfalls, breathtaking rock face, and lush greenery.
Photo: Flickr user Bobistraveling
4. Strapped for cash, but still want some culture? Take in a theater performance at Ithaca College. Known for its drama school, Ithaca College presents a variety of well-executed productions each year. Glimpse the season schedule here!
5. Spend the day picnicking lakeside, hiking through the picturesque park, and swimming carefree at Taughannock Falls State Park. If it’s a Saturday, enjoy a free concert! Beginning July 10 through ’til the summer’s end, the park hosts a lively evening performance that’s a guaranteed good time!
Do you have any upstate memories? What are your summer plans?
IC is my alma mater! Hooray for Ithaca College and hooray for Ithaca, NY! Don’t miss Apple Fest in the Fall. There is also a chili cook-off where local restaurants compete for the title of best chili. Yum!
Great post! I highly recommend the wineries – just did several along Seneca Lake about two weeks ago. Definitely missing the scenery now that I’m back in Ohio – it’s so flat here in comparison! Planning to go back later in the summer for more stamps on my Riesling passport. Thanks for posting!
Ahhhhh! I spent my 4th of July last year camping in a tepee in Ithaca! Honestly one of the best weekend trips ever! It is so beautiful! I highly recommend it as well!
I moved to Ithaca 12 years ago to attend IC. I can’t imagine being anywhere else! Great post, great advertising for my quirky little “home town,” and a great outfit for a summer day in Ithaca!
My entire family is from Ithaca, I go there all the time! I absolutely love the farmers market!
whoo~i live there!
My grandparents used to live in Ithaca. I’ve spent many a Christmas in this hidden gem. Such a great place!
I went to Ithaca College as well and I spent last weekend enjoying the Spring weather in Ithaca! The farmers market is amazing, along with all the lovely gorges. Def worth the drive 🙂
I am heading to Ithaca soon!!!! I am originally from the region and can’t wait for the trip back 🙂 Planning on eating at Moosewood and going to the wineries 🙂
I just graduated from Ithaca College on Sunday and I already miss it. It’s overflowing with little restaurants, vineyards and vintage shops. (Too bad it snows most of the school year…)
Hurrah! Glad to hear there are so many of you Ithaca fans out there. Having grown up nearby, I’m with you. 🙂
My little sister goes to Ithaca College. I visited last summer and that place is beautiful!
I live in Ithaca! Thanks for the shout out. It is marvelous when it is nice out. The gorges are a must.
As an Ithaca local, it’s awesome to hear about it on this blog. I’d also mention the Commons, that’s my favourite place to hang out on nice weekends. Also can’t forget the ScienceCenter, Museum of Earth, Purity Icecream Co., or the bakery :3
Email (will not be published) (required)
© 2017 ModCloth, Inc. All Rights Reserved.