Wake Up With This Coconut + Coffee Body Scrub

Incorporate this refreshing dose of coffee and coconut into your a.m. shower, and you’ll be less tempted to hit the snooze button each morning!

This four-ingredient DIY uses heavenly smelling coconut oil and ground coffee to give your day some extra pep (which we can all use). Anyone can make it, and you probably already have everything you need on hand.

What You Need:

• 3/4 cup coarsely ground coffee
  • 1.5 cups Epsom salt
  • 3/4 cup unrefined coconut oil
  • 1 tsp. vanilla extract (or couple drops essential oil)
  • spoon and jar

Step One

Combine your Epsom salt and coffee together. You can play with the ratio if you want a stronger coffee smell, but we find that this mixture is perfect.

Step Two

Add your unrefined coconut oil to the salt and coffee mixture, and stir. Unrefined coconut oil has a stronger, more coconut-y (AKA more delicious) scent than refined coconut oil, which is why we recommend it.

Step Three

Finally, add a teaspoon of vanilla extract, and stir well. You could substitute vanilla essential oil if you want.

Step Five

House your coconut and coffee body scrub in a sealed jar and store either in the fridge or the bathroom. We recommend using it within a couple months, but it can keep for up to six.

Let us know if you try this one out!

About Wendy

Wendy Rose Gould is a latte-loving, vintage-collecting, cat-adoring beauty and fashion writer whose work has appeared both online and in print. While she grew up in urban Indiana surrounded by horse buggies and corn fields, she's since moved west to Phoenix (after a stint in South Korea) where cacti and haboobs reign supreme. Wendy believes a woman should never leave the house without enviable hair and a spritz of her staple perfume. And also mascara. Never leave the house without mascara.

, , ,

8 Responses to Wake Up With This Coconut + Coffee Body Scrub

1. Lynne 06/24/2015 at 3:43 pm #

I love this scrub! I’ve actually been using it for a couple of months now. It’s super easy to make and I can keep the jar (sealed) in my shower. In addition to smelling great (it’s coffee!) and exfoliating the skin, it can also promote circulation and reduce cellulite. I’ve been massaging it into the top of my thighs/base of my bum… where I see cellulite… for a couple of minutes every 2-3 days. It leaves my skin feeling super soft (no need to moisturize after the shower) and is helping me feel a lot more confident this bikini season 🙂

2. Minda 06/25/2015 at 6:43 am #

Now this is a body scrub I could use! Especially on those mornings where I’m hitting the snooze button three or more times. Now stupid question coming: Does it matter what type of coffee grounds you get?? Like dark roast verses medium roast?

• Priscilla 06/26/2015 at 5:32 am #

@Minda – I don’t think the roast of coffee beans will affect the scrubby potential of this product. However, the type of roast will most certainly affect its scent. I would pick a roast that most appeals to your nose, keeping in mind how you intend to use the product.

3. Tabitha 06/26/2015 at 4:22 pm #

I just made this scrub using pink Himalayan salt instead of Epsom salt (just what I had in my house already). It smells absolutely divine. It’s a hot day, so my coconut oil was already fully melted in its jar. I actually mixed all of my ingredients in the jar I’m keeping the scrub in – one less dish! 🙂

4. Cassie 08/24/2015 at 2:08 am #

How long does this mixture stay good for just being stored in the shower? Would it last longer if stored in the fridge? Thanks!

5. Slyvia 10/01/2015 at 7:54 pm #

Can I use this scrub on my face if I have acne or is it to harsh and will irritate it?

6. Faumuina 10/13/2015 at 5:29 pm #

I am going to try this with 100% roasted ground cacao with is readily available where I live (Samoa) plus ground coffee is really expensive. We also have virgin coconut oil here as well. It will be hard to find Epsom salt so may substitute it with raw sugar. Looking forward to trying it! Thanks for the inspiration

7. Felicity 05/22/2016 at 12:20 am #

Tried this today using the coffee grinds from my used coffee pods – worked really well. Just added some more salt as the pods have really fine coffee grinds do it was a little wet still until balanced out. Great way to recycle the used up coffee and oh my gosh yes it smells divine!