The Style Gallery is a great new way for you to view, love, and share outfit photos. It’s meant to showcase all the expressive, creative, and inspirational personalities of our community!
As the holiday season quickly approaches, you may soon start to receive sweetly handwritten cards and letters penned by friends near and far. Rather than pinning them to your fridge, why not create a cute display with a few simple household items as a fun way to decorate your home and spread the holiday cheer? For today’s DIY, we’ve fashioned our own little seasonal tree, but you can use the same concept to create any shape you’d like. Whether it’s a sweet snowman, sparkling star, or eye-catching candelabra, this easy DIY will be certain to delight!
Holiday Yarn Tree DIY
What we used:
A piece of plywood (This can be as large or small as you’d like – our plywood was approximately 3’x4′)
White paint and a brush
A ruler or measuring tape
Nails and a hammer
Decor of your choice (We used tiny ornaments and feathers from the local craft store)
1. Using your paint and brush, whitewash your piece of plywood and allow it to dry completely.
2. Once the paint is dry, sketch out the shape of a tree onto the plywood with a pencil. Use your ruler to evenly space out the placement of the nails. For our tree, the nails were roughly 4″ apart from one another. If you’d like to add a star-burst atop your tree, use an overturned plate to sketch a circle, and use the same technique to determine your nail placement.
3. Use a hammer to nail-in the outline of your tree shape.
4. String your yarn horizontally and diagonally around the nails of the tree. Repeat the same technique for your star-burst.
5. Hang your cards and decorations using clothespins for this delightful holiday display!
Best of Holiday DIYs, crafts, diy, holidays
I love this tree! It just so happens there is a string art project, I did in the 70’s, still at my folks place.
I wanted to do something with left over yarn I have. this may be the project. Thanks for the inspiration.
Email (will not be published) (required)
© 2017 ModCloth, Inc. All Rights Reserved.