The Style Gallery is a great new way for you to view, love, and share outfit photos. It’s meant to showcase all the expressive, creative, and inspirational personalities of our community!
(Image Above: Tobias the cat knows how to stay warm)
Did you know? Electric power plants are the United States’ largest industrial source of pollutants that cause global warming. Here in Pittsburgh, temperatures have already plummeted into the lower thirties, and the dreary, drizzling rain makes things feel much chillier! Tempted as we are to crank up the thermostat, we are striving to be as energy efficient – and cost efficient – as possible. Here is a working list of some alternate ways to stay roasty-toasty.
1. Take cues from your pet! Lie in a sunbeam.
2. Actually use the hood on your hooded sweatshirt. A disproportionate amount of heat escapes from your head. Don’t lose that precious resource; trap it!
3. Take up knitting. Choose yarn in warm colors and textures to trick yourself (sometimes warmth is simply a matter of perception). There are an abundance of how-to demos on the internet. This one plays jazzy music.
4. Build a big nest of blankets and flannel sheets and dive in! Obvious, perhaps, but underrated. You might also re-live your childhood and build a blanket fort.
5. Reverse your ceiling fan. Since heat rises, running your ceiling fan in reverse will push the heat back down to you.
6. Do your laundry an hour or two before you plan to go to bed. There’s nothing like some warm pajammers!
7. Bust out the heavy-duty shrink wrap and the ole’ hair dryer and insulate. Also try rolling up towels to block drafts that seep under cracks in the door frame.
8. Sip a steaming beverage or a delicious bowl of soup. Using a crock pot is super simple, and since it cooks on low heat for a longer period of time, it is also energy efficient.
9. Exercise. Great for getting your heart pumping, endorphins flowing, and warming you up. Try Zumba. It’s like going to a dance party!
10. Snuggle with your sweetie. Or pet. Or stuffed animal.
What about you, ModLovers? Do you know any eco-friendly ways to stay warm?
Nice tips! I know I am not looking forward to the cold weather!
I find my oven heats my apartment pretty well. I’m forever cooking something in the winter. Make sure you seal up all the doors..I have weather proofing strips on all the doors to make sure no cold air gets in. Get yourself some big wooly socks & some ugg boots too.
I love this!
I live in L.A. so it never gets really cold, but I do love a good chunky sweater and blanket nest. I’m going back to Michigan to see my parents at one point, though, so I’m going to have to test out some of these methods!
Glad you all found this helpful. I love the cooking/baking idea, Shannon. I guess an extra pound or two is also a good way to insulate!
Along the lines of warm foodstuffs, oatmeal is an absolute staple in our house. Hot, hearty, CHEAP, and very versatile (I make homemade granola all the time, which also gets the oven going to help with the chill). A hot bowl of oats in the morning overflowing with seasonal fruits always warms me up and keeps me full for hours.
Email (will not be published) (required)
© 2016 ModCloth, Inc. All Rights Reserved.