Do you have an Echolism addiction? We’ve got the perfect fix for you this week. Moving into the ModCloth Green Scene spotlight: (Drumroll, please…) The Whale of a Good Time Bottle & Fresh Water Forest Water Bottle! Have you been lost in the whirlwind of green media, hype, and heresay? We’ve done our research and are here to break the facts down for you, H2O-style.
Not only can plastic water bottles be harmful to your health, they can also be harmful to planet earth! (1) There is a chemical (BPA) Bisphenol A which can leach out of plastic, into our drinking water, and cause hormone changes in our bodies! (sciencedaily.com) And (2) The cost in production, consumption, and lasting effects that plastic water bottles have on our earth is frightening!
Keep reading for some quick facts for you to soak in!
- Nearly 90 percent of water bottles are not recycled and wind up in landfills where it takes thousands of years for the plastic to decompose
- Approximately 1.5 million barrels of oil – enough to run 1,000,000 cars for a whole year – are used to make plastic water bottles, while transporting these bottles burns even more oil (treehugger.com)
- Bisphenol A (BPA), a compound in hard, clear polycarbonate plastics, is getting official scrutiny – and has raised concerns because it appears to mimic the effects of estrogen, interfering with hormone levels and cell signaling systems (health.usnews.com)
- A Harvard study released in the spring (March 22, 2009) supports what many public health specialists have long assumed: Hard plastic bottles containing bisphenol A are leaching notable amounts of the controversial chemical into peoples’ bodies (boston.com/news)
- Stainless Steel is BPA free, 100% recycleable, non-leaching, and sustainable
And what better place to tote your shiny new stainless steel water bottle than on a local outdoor trail, event, or even challenge! This upcoming Saturday, I will be participating for the second year in a row in the Rachel Carson Trail Challenge. With 34 miles of grueling hills and trails, I’m going to need some massive hydration and would rather not do so with chemicals in my water. Check out Active.com, there are 600 people registered to participate (and they come from all over the country!) Will I possibly be passing any ModClothers along the way?
In short, water is a smart choice, but stainless is smarter! Now I think all we need is a spokesmodel for a new stainless campaign… maybe Angelina Jolie?