Each spring, April Fool’s Day arrives and I am woefully unprepared. This year, I decided to read over Slate.com’s April Fool’s Defense Kit and do a little research to come up with some good ol’ pranks to play on my co-workers and loved ones. Many of the jokes I found were super gross (“Saran wrap the toilet”) or just plain mean (“start a rumor that someone is getting fired”or this self-proclaimed “most evil prank ever”). Here are ten tricks that I found to be fairly harmless, pretty funny… and, yes, just a little lame.
- Plant a Whoopie Cushion. This old-fashioned bag o’ fun is always good for a few laughs and you can find them for less than a dollar at most party stores.
- “Frozen Water” Frisbee. I admit that this prank is usually done with something other than water, but this is the edited-for-Modlife version: Fill a frisbee with water and freeze it. Take the frozen frisbee to the door of your victim. Carefully slide out the frozen disc of water and slip it under their closed door. The ice will melt, and your victim will spend hours trying to figure our how that puddle of “water” got there.
- Spoiled Lunch. These funky ziploc bags are sure to liven up lunchtime (as discussed in last week’s 3 O’Clock Slump).
- Two-Door Trap. This works best in dorms or apartment buildings. Tie a string on two doorknobs that face each other across a hallway. Knock on each door and enjoy the hilarious back and forth as each victim tries to open their door.
- Do Nothing. If you’re known for being a prankster, everyone will probably be expecting you to do something. Just watching them nervously anticipating one of your pranks might be the funniest prank of all.
- Cell Phone in the Ceiling a la The Office.
- Spell-Check Prank. Change the settings on your victim’s Spell-Check to replace common words with ridiculous phrases, such as “I love tea parties” or “poodle time.”
- Time Warp. Set your victim’s clock and alarm back three hours after he or she goes to sleep. The next morning, wait until your victim gets completely ready for class or work before fessing up. This only works, of course, if he or she is used to waking up when it’s still dark!
- The Ol’ Switcheroo. Swap out his or her pants for the same style, but two sizes smaller. Your victim will think he or she gained ten pounds overnight.
- Freeze Frame. Take a screenshot of your victim’s computer desktop once they leave their desk. Load the picture as his or her computer background and hide all of their icons. Watch their frustration over their frozen computer!
Got any tricks up your sleeve? Leave a comment!